Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I have a ps3, a mac mini intel older generation with a 500 gig external hd attached to it and a new apple tv2. I was thinking of using plex on the mac mini as a media server and jailbreaking the apple tv2 installing plex on it and using it to stream the media content. After watching a youtube tutorial on jailbreaking the appletv2 and using plex my head hurts. It looks way too complicated.

Is the simplest and most effective solution using ps3 for games and bluray and keeping my mac mini with external in the living room converting avis into itunes format and just streaming media into my bedroom with the apple tv?:confused::confused::confused:

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes :)

Dapness

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Brother, you have the same setup I used to have with the same questions. And yes, the SIMPLEST way is the one you posted. It sucks that the Apple TV is so limited with formats and the PS3, well, there's a lot of untapped potential there. Although the PS3 has decent format acceptance on paper it's always been pretty picky in terms of what it will play correctly. For me it's MKVs though. The Apple TV obviously cant play them and neither can the PS3. I'm not trying to Hand Brake all my 1080P files down into a file format thats usable for everything (720P for Apple TV). So, I've got a 2.4ghz Mini in the living room and I'm going to get a Boxee Box when they straghten out all the initial bugs. My Apple TV (old one) is in the kids room (better than discs that will get broken or scratched) and my PS3 is in the bedroom serving Netflix.

If the Apple TV was 1080P capable the Plex hack would be the heat :)

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Brother, you have the same setup I used to have with the same questions. And yes, the SIMPLEST way is the one you posted. It sucks that the Apple TV is so limited with formats and the PS3, well, there's a lot of untapped potential there. Although the PS3 has decent format acceptance on paper it's always been pretty picky in terms of what it will play correctly. For me it's MKVs though. The Apple TV obviously cant play them and neither can the PS3. I'm not trying to Hand Brake all my 1080P files down into a file format thats usable for everything (720P for Apple TV). So, I've got a 2.4ghz Mini in the living room and I'm going to get a Boxee Box when they straghten out all the initial bugs. My Apple TV (old one) is in the kids room (better than discs that will get broken or scratched) and my PS3 is in the bedroom serving Netflix.

If the Apple TV was 1080P capable the Plex hack would be the heat :)
thanks it does sound like you have the same setup.. almost sounds nicer. I like the sleekness and small size of the apple tv in the bedroom. I think im going to leave the mac mini and the ps3 in the living room. I do love the ps3 as a media center also .. it's just a pain to get movies in it. I upgraded my hard drive to 320 gigs from a 160 gig hard drive..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.