Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
When you extract a dvd to you mac by using the program Mac the Ripper, you end up with a Video TS folder. What exactly do you burn to the dvd? Do you burn everything that was extracted (including folders)? Or do you put the files within the Video TS folder on 1 at a time?

AWishForNoOne

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2003
You need something that will compress it onto a standard 4.7 DVD such as Roxio Popcorn or DVD2One. Personally I use Roxio Popcorn because it's very simple and I feel the quality is still intact. I'm not sure what would happen if you just burned a VIDEO_TS onto a dvd (or say onto a Double Layer DVD). Hmm.. it should still work I think..

Just copy the whole folder and create an empty AUDIO_TS just for good measure (especially for use on older DVD players) and burn those two folders onto the DVD.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Is Roxio free? if not where can i get it? What id being compressed, the video ts folder or invdividual files?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
JzzTrump22 said:
Is Roxio free? if not where can i get it? What id being compressed, the video ts folder or invdividual files?
Roxio.com, the product is Popcorn, no it's not free. DVD2oneX isn't free, either, and it's more expensive (and rarely sees improvements). Popcorn's what you want, IMO. Yes, you compress the *parent* of the TS_VIDEO folder, i.e. the folder with the name of the DVD. When using Popcorn, *always* decrypt the entire DVD with MacThe Ripper to disk before using Popcorn.

AWishForNoOne

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2003
JzzTrump22 said:

Roxio Popcorn is a $50 download from their website. It compresses the VIDEO_TS folder and gives you the option of compressing the whole DVD, including the special features and such (lower quality), or just extracting the main feature (better quality). You also have the option of removing other language audio and such.

If you want more control you can use DVD2One which just compresses the DVD but then you'd need Roxio Toast or something along those lines to burn the compressed results.

Either way, you'll probably have to dump some money into this. Unless you find the software and serial numbers elsewhere. But that would be illegal. And you shouldn't do it. Just like you should only use MacTheRipper and such to backup DVDs that you own.. ......... ..................

AWishForNoOne

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2003
Oh.. and in response to what's being compressed. It's all the video information. And the way that they compress it is somewhat complicated and involved but optimized to keep best quality. I think I remember seeing something about exactly how it works somewhere. Oh well...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Also note that, AFAIK, there is no free or Apple-included way to make a DVD readable in an external player without these products (barring, of course, iDVD-produced disks). It'll play on your Mac, but it won't play on a regular player without, say, Toast or Popcorn.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
ok thanks guys. I'm getting a dvd burner soon and just wanted to know what i would be needing to do. If i have more questions i'll come back and ask. Thanks for the help!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
JzzTrump22 said:
ok thanks guys. I'm getting a dvd burner soon and just wanted to know what i would be needing to do. If i have more questions i'll come back and ask. Thanks for the help!
FWIW, the Lacie 16X dual-layer external drive with Toast 6 Titanium bundle for $199 isn't the cheapest you can find, but it's a really solid unit, and it works well for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.