Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trooperof3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I have An Airport Express Connected to some speakers, And on my Iphone I can goto Airplay and choose to play the song on the Airport Express, but for some reason it never plays. I'll Hit play & it'll wait a second then jump back to Pause, When i tried to use Pandora it popped up an error message. But when i go into itunes i can play the song on my Airport Express.... It's just Airplay thats not working, Please Help. Thanks in advance.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
When I first did my updates to 4.2.1 on iPhone and Apple TV, I had trouble getting AirPlay working. Rebooting both devices got it going.

Here are some things you might try/check:
1) Reboot your iPhone/iPod/iPad
2) Switch the output in iTunes - iTunes may have the AirPort 'locked'
3) Reboot the AirPort

I have definitely seen that if someone is already streaming to an AirPort, I can't 'kick them off' and start my own stream - I have to wait until the AirPort is free.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
do you have airtunes enabled for the express in airport utility? Passcode enabled?

Are you running analog or optical out the express?

iPonder

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
I have the same problem. I can select the correct AirPort on the iPhones AirPlay switch, but no audio is sent to receiver but time elapses on song. I disconnect, or change back to iphone speakers (sound works there), and connect through my laptop which works fine.

Discovery of the Airport Express on the phone has been flaky as well. Always having to reboot for it to connect and enable the AirPlay option. My phone has not been jailbroken. Any ideas would be appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.