PDA

View Full Version : Apple wins patent on 3D projector that needs no glasses

MacBytes
Dec 1, 2010, 10:59 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple wins patent on 3D projector that needs no glasses (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20101201115959)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

pinsrw
Dec 1, 2010, 11:18 AM
I can see it now: 20 years from now, after the Great Steve has passed and his cult is going strong and everyone recognizes him as the Second Coming of the Buddha, we'll be able to buy a table-top holographic animated Steve in a glass box (matte or glossy, your choice) who emits his holy light and speaks his words of wisdom at the press of a button, sort of like the Staples "that was easy" button but with a hologram.

macdaveaustin
Dec 1, 2010, 11:56 AM
I can see it now: 20 years from now, after the Great Steve has passed and his cult is going strong and everyone recognizes him as the Second Coming of the Buddha, we'll be able to buy a table-top holographic animated Steve in a glass box...

I'd see it more of a Hari Seldon (Asimov's Foundation series), Steve guiding the masses along the path to a great new future.

foiden
Dec 1, 2010, 12:33 PM
Is it just me, or does this seem like these Patents mean nothing? I mean even after it is all said and done, the moment something with this technology gets popular, some other company uses some slightly different tech that gets passed the patent restriction and makes something that acts just like it.

So in a way, outside of stealing the actual exact lines of code, or something, anybody can still pretty much clone anything.

Liquorpuki
Dec 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
Is it just me, or does this seem like these Patents mean nothing? I mean even after it is all said and done, the moment something with this technology gets popular, some other company uses some slightly different tech that gets passed the patent restriction and makes something that acts just like it.

So in a way, outside of stealing the actual exact lines of code, or something, anybody can still pretty much clone anything.

Do you have any specific examples or are you just ranting?

Supershuttle
Dec 1, 2010, 06:56 PM
3D without glasses is probably the best 3D, but it won't be affordable right now. probably late 2012

KeriJane
Dec 1, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'd see it more of a Hari Seldon (Asimov's Foundation series), Steve guiding the masses along the path to a great new future.

Ooooooh... Hari Seldon. How very apt. ;)

It's been too long since I read that book.

Thanks,
Keri

b0blndsy
Dec 2, 2010, 12:33 AM

I agree with you companies find ways to bypass the patent restrictions. Though I am not sure that same thing applies in technology domain also but there are many examples present in the Pharmaceutical domain.

KeriJane
Dec 2, 2010, 06:49 AM

How about Apple vs. Microsoft, 1994?

That was a Copyright lawsuit, but the principle is the same.....

The Seldon Patents?

That's one that jumps to mind for some reason.

There's lots more.

Have Fun,
Keri

Apple Hero
Dec 2, 2010, 08:19 AM
3D has taken over the world. First Movies, Game Systems, Cameras, and now Apple has plans for 3D. I really don't care about 3D, just give me a good high powered device.

Liquorpuki
Dec 2, 2010, 10:01 AM
How about Apple vs. Microsoft, 1994?

That was a Copyright lawsuit, but the principle is the same.....

The Seldon Patents?

That's one that jumps to mind for some reason.

There's lots more.

Have Fun,
Keri

So do you agree with that poster who feels the patent system is broken and fails to do what it's supposed to do, which is reward innovation?

lee14160
Dec 2, 2010, 10:18 AM
Didn't know there was a contest. . .darn missed out again.:rolleyes:

Liquorpuki
Dec 2, 2010, 10:20 AM
3D has taken over the world. First Movies, Game Systems, Cameras, and now Apple has plans for 3D. I really don't care about 3D, just give me a good high powered device.

That patent is the first I've heard of that actively seek out the viewer's eyes and then modifies the display to produce the sterescopic image for that person's location. That's pretty high-tech. Expensive and imposing a lot of engineering challenges, but that patent will give them the edge when 3D tech matures.

Both Nintendo and Toshiba's solutions require you to be X distance from the screen in order to see the 3D image. It's like once they reached the point where they no longer needed glasses, they had their R&D go on vacation

KeriJane
Dec 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
So do you agree with that poster who feels the patent system is broken and fails to do what it's supposed to do, which is reward innovation?

This is probably a bad thing because people that invent stuff often end up not making any money from their inventions. On the other hand, many other people may benefit greatly if a great invention is made more widespread.

There's just tons of instances where someone invents something, patents it, and then the whole world copies it badly so as to avoid paying royalties to the patent holder.

This whole tendency of people to circumvent Patents and/or Copyrights says a lot about humanity, in a bad way. Of course, demanding a ton of money for the priviledge of using an idea doesn't reflect all that well on many Patent or Copyright holders either.

Patent and Copyright holders can reduce this tendency by keeping their royalty demands modest. I believe that is what killed the Seldon patents.... Royalties were very high and that gave people great incentive to circumvent the patents.

Oh well,
Have fun,
Keri

foiden
Dec 2, 2010, 01:01 PM

Easy. We could just do Apple's. How many patents did they file on the iPhone? What from the system hasn't been emulated by some Android phone by now?

Liquorpuki
Dec 2, 2010, 04:21 PM
Easy. We could just do Apple's. How many patents did they file on the iPhone? What from the system hasn't been emulated by some Android phone by now?

Can you give me a specific patent that you feel was stolen?

http://www.google.com/patents

lilcosco08
Dec 2, 2010, 07:44 PM
I can see it now: 20 years from now, after the Great Steve has passed and his cult is going strong and everyone recognizes him as the Second Coming of the Buddha, we'll be able to buy a table-top holographic animated Steve in a glass box (matte or glossy, your choice) who emits his holy light and speaks his words of wisdom at the press of a button, sort of like the Staples "that was easy" button but with a hologram.

Ha!
This IS holographic steve we are talking about.
Glossy it is

Kestrel452
Dec 2, 2010, 08:12 PM
It's about time a version of 3D came out that doesn't need glasses. 3D glasses don't work for me due to strabismus.

keen-on-mac-1
Dec 3, 2010, 08:54 AM
Good news in here, really looking forward to try that out !