PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 10.4 on PowerPC G5

mikegavin
Dec 1, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hey guys,

Just a quick enquiry. I've purchased a refurb PowerPC G5 running 10.4

Rather than purchase the 10.5.6 Disc to upgrade, could i use the Mac OS X Install DVD I got with my MacBook in July 2009? It's version 10.5.6 obviously!

Cheers for any help you can give!

Intell
Dec 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hey guys,

Just a quick enquiry. I've purchased a refurb PowerPC G5 running 10.4

Rather than purchase the 10.5.6 Disc to upgrade, could i use the Mac OS X Install DVD I got with my MacBook in July 2009? It's version 10.5.6 obviously!

Cheers for any help you can give!

You could use the Macbook disc, but you'll have to change a few files to make it work on the PowerMac, (don't ask). I say your best bet is to find a disc on eBay.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 1, 2010, 11:54 AM
NO, those grey restore DVDs are machine/model specific and can't be used with other Macs, except with the exact same model.

mikegavin
Dec 1, 2010, 11:57 AM
i used a 10.6.5 disc that came with a macbook pro to upgrade my macbook though, worked fine!

DrakkenWar
Dec 3, 2010, 12:37 AM
I would agree with the posters for the most part. I have had mixed experiences with grey install disks. It seems that the newer the machine is the less luck you will have. I know it sucks to have to buy a retail copy of Mac OS to upgrade install. Still waiting for a good price to upgrade my dual 533 here to tiger from Panther.

~Nathan

rtrt
Dec 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
i think there is a way to achieve this but tbh i'm not sure what the forums policies are on discussing it - so a bit reluctant to post anything.

think this is probably what Intell means by don't ask.

how much are they on ebay - if not too much you might go there as he/she suggests