PDA

View Full Version : Workstation Graphics

PismoGuy
Jan 18, 2005, 09:52 PM
Hello fellow excellent Mac users :D ,

I have recently purchased a PC to assist me in anything PC related in school and work.FYI I didn't switch; I'm still waiting for my powerbook G5 :rolleyes:. I am and will continue to work heavily in solidworks and am considering in moving some of my FCP work over to avid (seeing how my new refurbished Athlon 3200 machine is faster than my pismo).

I always followed nvidia's and ati's products and their specs closely, but since 2002 I haven't actually experienced any first hand. So I decided to purchase a few to play with and would keep the one I liked the most.

All of them were tried out on the PC
Specs:
AMD Athlon 3200 <2.2Ghz>
400Mhz Bus
512MB DDR ram <2*256>
200GB 7200 RPM Seagate HD
nforce MoBo w/ intergrated Geforce 4 MX/open AGP 8x

Cards Tried (all 8x AGP):
ATI
>9600 128MB... drivers very goofy on this pc. Probably because its a nForce Mobo

Nvidia
>FX 5500 OC BFG 128MB ... drivers work nicely... Runs Deus Ex IW poorly at 640*480 lowest(updated to 1.2 and lastest video drivers, but still XP home SP1... no internet at home for now)

Deus Ex IW is my only PC game/ my means of getting a feel for the cards' raw power.

>fx5700 PNY 128MB ... I like

... but now I am considering the quadro series low end (200-250 $). I would like to know the differences of gaming/ mainstream and Workstation Cards. I will do occasional gaming. It is mostly a work/school related PC. Are there Any workstation cards available for Macs? Are they worth for apps like maya 3d, Video editing, and a range of CAD software?

Thanks

Nermal
Jan 18, 2005, 10:13 PM
There are no workstation-class cards available for Mac. I can't answer any of your other questions, this sort of stuff is not my forté.

AdamR01
Jan 19, 2005, 12:20 AM
I know for CAD the workstation class cards have a few extra features that can help speed things up. I'm not sure about Maya. Video editing should not be effected by the type of card. As for Deus Ex: Invisible War, do you have Bloom turned on? I know that turning that off gave me a noticeable boost in FPS.