Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
I often use my powerbook (15" 1.25ghz) on soft surfaces (bed, couch) and I checked the temperature and this is what I got:

Processor: 59.5 c
BS Processor: 58.2 c
Power Supply: 59.8 c
Hard Disk: 39.0 c
Battery: 35.0 c

So what I was wondering is, is this too hot? I dont mind it being warm (its actually kinda nice when its cold out) but will it damage anything? is it bad?
Thanks

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
You don't want to use it on soft surfaces. The PowerBook transfers its heat through the aluminum underside and through the back vent holes. Keep it on a hard surface or use a passive laptop cooler on the bed.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Thanks for the fast response, do u know if it will damage anything though? I just dont want to damage anything, my warranty just expired :cool:

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
It probably won't damage anything, at the least, just make sure the fan vents are not covered by anything, and it should be okay. If you don't get anything specific for laptops for your bed, at least put it on a book or something to raise it up a little.

kreiggers

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2003
was wondering the same thing...

I've checked my powerbook (same as above 1.25Ghz) and found the cpu running at ~ 142°F without the fan coming on to high speed...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum operating temperature for the cpu is (not the environmental temperature, but he actual cpu temperature)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The PowerBook has been around for a while, which Apple has well designed. So I think that the heat isn't a problem. Using a passive laptop cooler is important for another reason also. The heat is enough that it can cause a burn on your skin if there isn't some between you and the PowerBook. Watch out for redness of the skin.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
I put in a Hitachi 7200 rpm drive about a month ago and ever since my fans come on almost constantly and it's definitely hotter to the touch. I keep the rear lifted so air can get underneath but I too have been worried about the heat causing damage. I'm running soft-synths and ableton Live so my processor and drive are cranking out everything they have nonstop.

I wish I could find some kind of cool gelpac or something that would stay cold a longtime resisting the heat and keeping my pb's temp down. any tips?

on an 867 pb with 10.2.8 by the way.

tateusmaximus

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2004
sydney
killuminati said:
Processor: 59.5 c
BS Processor: 58.2 c
Power Supply: 59.8 c
Hard Disk: 39.0 c
Battery: 35.0 c

how is it you test these temperatures? with a PC there are utilities that can show these temperatures, but i didnt know you can get them for a mac? where and what are they?

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
tateusmaximus said:
how is it you test these temperatures? with a PC

with a pc! anyway do a search on version tracker for Temperature Monitor, there's also lots of neat software there for macs...not just for pc's!

as for the parent poster, my behavior with my pb 15" is the same. i use it on my bed and on the couch propped up on pillows. my highest temp is 62c for processor. i've tried searching and so far it seems that temp is ok...i hope!

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
kreiggers said:
I've checked my powerbook (same as above 1.25Ghz) and found the cpu running at ~ 142°F without the fan coming on to high speed...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum operating temperature for the cpu is (not the environmental temperature, but he actual cpu temperature)

If it is anything like intel and AMD chips they are pretty safe up to about 65 and can push 70C with out much of a problem. Auto shut down at 75C the die it self melting somewhere around 80-90C

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
I bought an iBreeze stand for 35 buck shipped, my processor never gets over 120 with it on. Plugs into my usb port
Keep my 17 way cooler

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
If your PowerBook shuts down or kernal panics because of the heat or the fans don't kick in when running at 100% CPU for extended periods of time, then I'd worry.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
There's a review of it here
http://www.metalstyli.com/reviews_climator.htm
that shows the metal plate and packets with whatever wierd chemical they contain. It doesn't say how long it lasts or long long it takes to cool down again or if you can stick it in your fridge to cool it fast. I was originally picturing something like those freezer packs with the beads in them but packaged really nicely for laptop use to prevent moisture escaping etc. The more I think about all this it just seems a little ridiculous -- but I am worried about this heat becoming a problem.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
hmmm, im not sure about that. It looks a little - whats the word - bad.
It just doesnt look like a quality product. I think ill just learn to except heat :cool:

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
60 C is pretty cold when it comes to PowerBooks :p

Mine is over 70 C (1,5GHz) when its connected to power and working, if i unplug the power the temperature will drop considerable.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Eple said:
60 C is pretty cold when it comes to PowerBooks :p

Mine is over 70 C (1,5GHz) when its connected to power and working, if i unplug the power the temperature will drop considerable.

OVER 70???? I dont think thats good! That seems way to hot. are you sure its normal???

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
The most ive seen my PB get to was 155 F (thats what, 68C?), and that was when I was using it on my bed after having it on overnight... I think the absolute MAX temperature it can get to before having problems is 170F... if it gets that high, problems will probably occur, but I dont think that will happen because of the temperature sensors on the processor will shut down the computer if it gets to hot.

but really, the PB will always be hot to the touch, because the whole thing acts as one giant heat sink

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.