Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notaznguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Okay, so I've had my Macbook for 2.5 years now and it is the 2008 White Model.

For the past few months now, I've noticed that my track pad button (this isn't the unibody track pad) has sunk in. Like it literally doesn't even push in. I checked online and read various methods to see how to fix, such as trying to remove dust/lint possibly stuck under, but that is not the problem.

You see, when I remove my macbook's battery, but trackpad button works just fine. I'm able to click on it perfectly and I can feel the button clicking. When I put my battery back in, it feels like the battery is pushing against my trackpad and I'm not allowed to click on it. It just becomes flat or "stuck."

At one point, I was able to click on things on my computer simply by tapping the right side of my arm rest. Yes! The arm rest! What is going on here?

This is so frustrating because even the slightest touch to the trackpad will cause me to double click. When I type, this results in highlighting the entire paragraph and deleting everything. What is going on?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Is your battery swelling at all? Lay it on a flat surface and look on level with it, there may be a slight bow in it. If so, that explains the issue with your trackpad (and also means you shouldn't use the battery).

notaznguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Is your battery swelling at all? Lay it on a flat surface and look on level with it, there may be a slight bow in it. If so, that explains the issue with your trackpad (and also means you shouldn't use the battery).

So I found this blog online:

http://www.manu-j.com/blog/macbook-trackpad-not-responding-working-battery-blame/379/

It seems this person is having the same symptoms as me. I took out my battery, and I think it is a little "bowed," although it doesn't look as bad as the one in the picture from the blog. It's actually hardly noticeable unless you really look at it closely.

What can I do about it? And why shouldn't I use the battery? Should I go to an Apple Store and talk about it with the Genius Bar? As far as I am concerned, this isn't my fault. I didn't do anything to "bend" the battery. According to the blog, Apple replaced the battery for free. How likely is this? I think it would be utter bull crap if I'd have to sell out $100+ for a new battery, especially since the one I have wasn't even damaged by me.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Typically a battery bulges because one of the cells has ruptured, giving you a significant fire hazard. It could just be a mistake in the manufacturing process, but Apple should replace it either way.

Take it to a Genius Bar and see what they say.

Stonehorse46

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
The track pad on a Black MacBook stopped working, seemed stuck down permanently in the "drag" position.

An iFix thread suggested that it might be a swollen battery that should be replaced.

I removed the battery and the track pad worked fine with the battery out.

I then gingerly replaced the battery and gently tightened the locking screw and, voila, working fine, at least for now.

The battery is not bulging noticeably, but I shall bring it to the Genius Bar, soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.