Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
California

my apologies if this post is redundant. i've run a search and didint really find anything directed towards my need.

i have an emac 1gz machine with a really small 40gb hard drive and i'd like to install a bigger hard drive and i'm experienced of how to ADD a harddrive to a pc and all, but i think that the emac is a bit more involved, due to the intimate packaging. i dont know how to "copy" contents from an old hard drive to a new one and if i could get any tips on how to do this i'd try my best to make the upgrade myself. i'm just a little hesitant and i'd rather take it to a certified pro to do what needs to be done. i live in newjersey. usa.

thank you for your time. this site is pretty awesome.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
buy a firewire caddy (or borrow one) plus the HD you want to put in there, then copy all your stuff to the new drive (use carbon copy cloner) then take it to an apple authorized dealer and ask for them to switch the drives for you, i would do it myself if i were you and if you to make sure to ground the moniter as you could get a nasty shock

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
California
omg thanks so much for the program tip. i never knew there was such an easy app for this task. also thankyou for the service link. i've found a couple shops that are protty reputable...all i need to do is call them up and rap with the staff to see what's up with their accomodations for me. thanks again for your help guys. i'll keep you posted. right now i'm going to see what's the deal about taking apart my firewire chassis to put in a bigger hard drive. will "any" major brand of 160gb hard drive do, as far as compatibility and speed for my emac?

i ask this because i dont understand the diff between all the serial ata and other types of stuff they tell you about the hard drive. i only know of the cache and the size and rpm's.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Considered an external FireWire drive?

Cheap, VERY FAST, loads of space and a breeze to set up. (IE - plug it in!)

Plus you can lug the thing any where.

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
California
PC.WDC.WD1200JBRTL.CN.JPG

i was wondering if THIS was an acceptable drive option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.