PDA

View Full Version : Will the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid SSD work in the new MBA?

Barcelona1107
Dec 2, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hi,

I just purchased a new MBA. I thought that the 256GB SSD would work for me, but, it doesn't. Now I'm attempting to find the least expensive way in which to upgrade the internal drive.

As I was about to purchase a new 512GB SSD, the reseller informed me that I should try the Seagate drive referenced above. He said that it would work in the MBA with no problem. The price difference is huge. Axiom SSD = $1500, Momentus Hybrid SSD = $120. I'm not concerned about speed. I'm just tired of carrying my itunes library on an external USB drive.

I would appreciate any advice that's given. I love the new MBA. I just need more disk space in the unit. Here's a link to the drive in question: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/internal-storage/momentus-xt-kit/

Hellhammer
Dec 2, 2010, 11:40 AM
MBA uses a custom "blade-type" SSD. There is and has never been space for 2.5" HD. The previous models used 1.8" HDs

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/EwXnxRyfEywUEP4A.huge

There is not much you can do. Do you really need all that music with you all the time? How about encoding them to smaller bitrate to save space?

alust2013
Dec 2, 2010, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately as HH said, the only type of drive that will work is a blade-type SSD, and I believe the 256GB is the largest version of that currently.

Barcelona1107
Dec 2, 2010, 11:44 AM
MBA uses a custom "blade-type" SSD. There is and has never been space for 2.5" HD. The previous models used 1.8" HDs

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/EwXnxRyfEywUEP4A.huge

There is not much you can do. Do you really need all that music with you all the time? How about encoding them to smaller bitrate to save space?

I've tried. I just like having room to play with. :-) Does an upgrade blade ssd exist for purchase?

Thanks for the information.

Hellhammer
Dec 2, 2010, 11:46 AM
I've tried. I just like having room to play with. :-) Does an upgrade blade ssd exist for purchase?

Thanks for the information.

Currently the biggest one is 256GB. They aren't widely available yet so maybe in future there will be bigger one.

Barcelona1107
Dec 2, 2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll continue to take my external drive along until a better alternative is available. This exercise saved me tons of money and time.

KPOM
Dec 2, 2010, 12:09 PM
Eventually you'll be able to use the SDXC slot for higher capacities, but right now you can get a 64GB card for about $200.

WorldIRC
Dec 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
Why isn't the 256GB Blade sold as an option for the 11 "?

BeyondtheTech
Dec 2, 2010, 12:16 PM
Totally forgot about that SD card slot. That would have been sweet for us 11.6" Air users. Right now, I've got a 160GB 2.5" SATA drive tethered to it with my iTunes and iPhoto library. Hope they come out with something sooner, or I'm going to have to velcro the damn thing to the bottom of my Air.

Hellhammer
Dec 2, 2010, 12:20 PM

Possibly because 64GB and 128GB are one-sided (4x16GB or 4x32GB) but the 256GB model seems to be double-sided (8x32GB)

One-sided:
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/EwXnxRyfEywUEP4A.medium
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/ibGgSVrKojukKDVn.medium

Double-sided:
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/11/08/003109-101104_Blade-SSD.jpg

Or Apple just wants people to pay more for the high-end 13" :D

rmhop81
Dec 2, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I just purchased a new MBA. I thought that the 256GB SSD would work for me, but, it doesn't. Now I'm attempting to find the least expensive way in which to upgrade the internal drive.

As I was about to purchase a new 512GB SSD, the reseller informed me that I should try the Seagate drive referenced above. He said that it would work in the MBA with no problem. The price difference is huge. Axiom SSD = $1500, Momentus Hybrid SSD = $120. I'm not concerned about speed. I'm just tired of carrying my itunes library on an external USB drive.

I would appreciate any advice that's given. I love the new MBA. I just need more disk space in the unit. Here's a link to the drive in question: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/internal-storage/momentus-xt-kit/

like another poster said, why not get an SDHC? you could even get this for a microSD

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-microSDHC-Memory-Reader/dp/B002HGFKR8/ref=pd_cp_e_1

crashnburn
Apr 28, 2012, 05:40 AM
Do the newer Macbook Airs have the same limitation? Unable to use standard market SSDs? & Hybrid HDDs like the XT?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 28, 2012, 05:50 AM
Do the newer Macbook Airs have the same limitation? Unable to use standard market SSDs? & Hybrid HDDs like the XT?

Which new MBAs? The 2010 MBA and 2011 MBA share the same form factor, and since the 2010 MBA can't accept 2.5" S-ATA HDDs or SSDs the 2011 MBA can't either.
The 2008 and 2009 MBAs accepted 1.8" S-ATA HDDs and SSDs.

Read the thread again to learn more about that, as Hellhammer is kind enough to go into more detail.

theSeb
Apr 28, 2012, 05:53 AM

Where do you propose a 2.5" drive should fit into the MBA exactly?

crashnburn
Apr 28, 2012, 06:31 AM
Where do you propose a 2.5" drive should fit into the MBA exactly?

I dont have a MBA. I use a Thinkpad X series for portability/ travel.

I have MBA on my radar but not being able to use standard market cost effective parts is an obvious issue, and the reason why I am hesitating going to a MBA.

How will they fit it in? I honestly dont claim to know. But, if/ when the prices for these special SSDs are close to normal Market SSD prices, I'd consider going down the MBA path.

Are they fairly / market value priced?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 28, 2012, 06:43 AM

See for yourself. (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express)

All Taken
Apr 28, 2012, 06:45 AM
I dont have a MBA. I use a Thinkpad X series for portability/ travel.

I have MBA on my radar but not being able to use standard market cost effective parts is an obvious issue, and the reason why I am hesitating going to a MBA.

How will they fit it in? I honestly dont claim to know. But, if/ when the prices for these special SSDs are close to normal Market SSD prices, I'd consider going down the MBA path.

If you buy a Blade X SSD from eBay it is actually cheaper than 2.5" form factor SSD tech in the same capacity. Market being smaller.

crashnburn
Apr 28, 2012, 08:07 AM
If you buy a Blade X SSD from eBay it is actually cheaper than 2.5" form factor SSD tech in the same capacity. Market being smaller.

I guess yes and no :) There are some which are slightly higher priced on Ebay and used/ pulled ones are equally priced.

Thanks for the insights though. Gives me some mental comfort :)

One question if you have the answer. Can these SSDs be used inside the normal laptops.. somehow? With an adapter or so?

256 GB ones especially. Maybe inside a Thinkpad.. for now. If I get a MBA next year then I could migrate it.

cube
Apr 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
This is why I won't buy an MBA or a normal ultrabook.

The Aspire S3 is better.

bolen
Apr 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
OWC sells a 480 GB replacement drive for the Air (it's also faster SATA III):
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/SSDAPE6G480/

Not cheap though..

shenan1982
Apr 30, 2012, 09:58 AM

They're not? My MB air 11" has 256... ????

lil' brudder
Apr 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
like another poster said, why not get an SDHC? you could even get this for a microSD

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-microSDHC-Memory-Reader/dp/B002HGFKR8/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2 potential problems:
#1, SDXC isn't featured on the MBA as far as I know - that's only on the MBP. I think it is just SDHC, though even that would be an improvement.

#2, does the OP have an 11" or a 13"? If the former, this is obviously not an option.

EDIT: Just actually looked at the link. That is super weird.

Just some thoughts. :)

All Taken
Apr 30, 2012, 10:38 AM
I guess yes and no :) There are some which are slightly higher priced on Ebay and used/ pulled ones are equally priced.

Thanks for the insights though. Gives me some mental comfort :)

One question if you have the answer. Can these SSDs be used inside the normal laptops.. somehow? With an adapter or so?

256 GB ones especially. Maybe inside a Thinkpad.. for now. If I get a MBA next year then I could migrate it.

With a blade x to sata converter yes, they cost on average 30 GBP delivered. I actually run a 128GB MacBook air toshiba ssd in my iMac with the said adaptor. M-sata to sata is not the same thing I case you see a claim of it being possible for air ssd.

screensaver400
Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 AM

It is: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC969LL/A?

You can't get it with just 2GB of RAM, though (that's the only other difference between the base and high-end 11" MBA).

raftr
Apr 30, 2012, 12:46 PM

It might be worth noting, SD slot is a USB 2.0 connection, it is always going to be slower. This shouldn't be a problem for storage, but if, for instance, you want to store photos on it, browsing them will not be anywhere as fast as on the SSD.

Tobias Funke
Apr 30, 2012, 12:58 PM

They're not? My MB air 11" has 256... ????

It is: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC969LL/A?

You can't get it with just 2GB of RAM, though (that's the only other difference between the base and high-end 11" MBA).

Check out the date he posted the question guys!

rmhop81
Apr 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
Check out the date he posted the question guys!

haha i know, 2010! i was quoted...and was like hmm i don't remember saying that. well it was forever ago haha

Oracle1729
Apr 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
I hope everyone thinking about buying an MBA reads this thread. So whoever ressed an old thread did people a service.

I have a 13" MBP, the first thing I did with it was replace the HD with a Sata 3 SSD that blows the piece of crap in the air out of the water. Then I still had room for a 1TB hard drive in the optical bay slot.

BTW, your ram is soldered to the logic board in the air. My MBP has 16 gig which cost me under $100.

With my SSD, the MPB is so much more powerful than the MBA it's just laughable yet there's still nuts here who say the air is faster. The people who think they should scrap the 13" pro (apple's best selling mac by the way) in favor if the air are idiots.

So, my shiny pro is far more powerful than your air, has an SSD as well as a 1TB HD, and with no external drive tied to it, mine is more portable too.

So tell me again, why anyone would even consider an air?

Cheffy Dave
Apr 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately as HH said, the only type of drive that will work is a blade-type SSD, and I believe the 256GB is the largest version of that currently.

OWC offers a 480GB blade type SSD,I own 3 2010 11" MBA's with it installed, and have installed 30+ for friends, all without a single problem!:cool:

TheRealDamager
Apr 30, 2012, 04:19 PM
I hope everyone thinking about buying an MBA reads this thread. So whoever ressed an old thread did people a service.

I have a 13" MBP, the first thing I did with it was replace the HD with a Sata 3 SSD that blows the piece of crap in the air out of the water. Then I still had room for a 1TB hard drive in the optical bay slot.

BTW, your ram is soldered to the logic board in the air. My MBP has 16 gig which cost me under $100.

With my SSD, the MPB is so much more powerful than the MBA it's just laughable yet there's still nuts here who say the air is faster. The people who think they should scrap the 13" pro (apple's best selling mac by the way) in favor if the air are idiots.

So, my shiny pro is far more powerful than your air, has an SSD as well as a 1TB HD, and with no external drive tied to it, mine is more portable too.

Ridiculous Troll...

Kebabselector
Apr 30, 2012, 06:32 PM

Pity the screen resolution is no better than my 5 year old Macbook.

How is a heavier machine more portable?

crashnburn
May 6, 2012, 05:33 PM

Is the RAM soldered? Cant be user replaced? And the SSD?

iAppl3Fan
May 6, 2012, 05:49 PM

MBP 13 = MBA's fatter, heavier brother
MBP 13 = low resolution

Medic278
May 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
Is the RAM soldered? Cant be user replaced? And the SSD?

The RAM is soldered to the logic board and is not user upgradable you have to make a RAM choice at the time of purchase. As others have said in this thread you can upgrade the SSD provided you get the proper blade configuration and are afraid of opening up your machine and getting into it.

Mlrollin91
May 6, 2012, 05:59 PM
Edit: Nvm..

crashnburn
May 6, 2012, 06:40 PM
Edit: Nvm..

I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Thoughts:
- Why they hell would Apple solder the chips? Some kind of technical advantage there? Locking the user to that RAM... even if cheaper modules come out later.

- Is there some way, hack, or "skilled shop" that can do memory upgrade/ replacements of the MBA?

PS: Just yesterday I was almost sold on getting an MBA despite higher price. But this just kills my 'upgradability' thoughts.

Mlrollin91
May 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Thoughts:
- Why they hell would Apple solder the chips? Some kind of technical advantage there? Locking the user to that RAM... even if cheaper modules come out later.

- Is there some way, hack, or "skilled shop" that can do memory upgrade/ replacements of the MBA?

PS: Just yesterday I was almost sold on getting an MBA despite higher price. But this just kills my 'upgradability' thoughts.

I was just going to say that the 2011 have the capacity of 256GB But the 2010 was 128GB. But others had already stated it prior to my response.

I guess soldering the ram to the board reduces space and weight by not have slots. I have yet to hear of a place that is capable of doing the upgrade.

When I had my MBA, the thing screamed despite only having 4GB of ram. The SSD makes all the difference in the world.

daonesteven
May 9, 2012, 11:23 AM

damn brah everyone would have taken the bait had you not included the portable part. Close though.

philxor
May 9, 2012, 07:55 PM
I wasn't too happy about the soldered RAM and non-standard SSD initially but honestly for what I use the MBA for the 4GB/256G is enough, and I'd take the portability over a MBP any day. I have a much larger external drive I use for backups and whatnot. Obviously it fits my needs but not everyone's, that's why Apple has larger laptops which to not have the same tradeoffs.

alphaod
May 10, 2012, 04:20 AM

For some us, can afford both ;)