Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Addy2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Hello--just looking for a solution to my problem.

I've an older model, unmodified Apple TV (40g), that I've just modified to have a 1T internal hard drive. To install the ATV system, I used a patchstick (as it's quicker and because I cannot locate my IDE/SATA drive to USB adapter to use the computer to clone the original to the new, blank drive). I also patched in different components, such as ATVFiles, Sapphire, ssh/ftp support, etc, both through the patchstick and then installed the plugins through ssh mainly, with the most up-to-date versions available. I've had to do these steps multiple, multiple times, with multiple factory restores (always restores to the latest firmware of appleTV, as that's what's on the bootloader)

However, here are the problems I am now facing:
Whenever I play my iTunes music, it "sticks," meaning, the song takes forever to load, then will play for 2 seconds, then stop, then play for a few more seconds, then stop, etc. It had done this once before as well, but then was ok, then crashed, so I had to start over---now it does it every time.

The other issue is, none of my movies (or any previews from the itunes store) play. I get the blue bar at the bottom, but it never advances past 0:00 or I get a message stating it's not in playable format (something to that effect). That's not true, because I had played them on the older ATV previously, so, they can obviously be played! (and they were streamed then). Save for youtube videos, just will not play.

I figured I'd forgo the patched plugins, if they're causing the issue, but everytime I do a factory restore, I still get this problem and it is very frustrating.

I figured I could completely wipe the disk and start over (without installing any patches), but, unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do that remotely (using ssh or ftp in either cyberduck or Terminal) and because I'm unable to locate my harddrive to usb connector, I can't hook up the drive to my computer to do so that way.

Any advice on fixing this problem (with the videos and music) or how to erase/re-install a clean version remotely? I spent over 12 hrs yesterday with repeated factory restores and installs and am now at my wits' end!

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Addy2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Ps

I should also state that I do have a USB to USB cable (somewhere, but probably much easier to locate!) and if it's possible to access the drive that way, I'd prefer it.

Aside from not being able to find my USB to hard drive connector, the 1TB thick SATA drive + the IDE-SATA adaptor and all the wires was a pain in the a$$ to properly get into the ATV case, which is another reason I am reluctant to open it, because I know the hassle that will go into closing it back up again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.