PDA

View Full Version : ibook G3 "Jaguar Can Unleash the Power of G3 iBooks"

tom vilsack
Dec 2, 2010, 06:58 PM
From this article: 'Jaguar' Can Unleash the Power of G3 iBooks

http://lowendmac.com/ed/nygren/08ny/ibook-mac-os-x-jaguar.html

Question:

What are your thoughts? anybody here using a G3 with Jaguar?

At present im using tiger 10.4.11,with (lastest firefox/flash,camino 2.0.6 G3 ver,itunes 9.2.1,flashplayer,mactubes,vlc 0.9.10,seashore, ect ect)...mainly use for internet,so could live without itunes,mactubes,vlc,seashore ect ect

I also have jaguar cd's and have combo update...i could use with firefox 2.0.0.20/flash 9,camino 1.0.6

would jaguar really help with web speed ect as article states,or would speed improvement not be worth the downgraded browser programs and loss of updated intunes ect...

ps: my machine is (mine G3 600,384 mem,16mb vram,20 gig hd)

ps: also have panther on cd's/plus combo update and could run firefox 2.0.0.20/flash 9,camino 1.6.11

Hrududu
Dec 2, 2010, 07:28 PM
Jaguar is trash. I used it from the time it came out on a G3 until Panther was released and never looked back. 10.2 was full of bugs and ran slower than any OS in Apple history. If anything, 10.3 Panther was the best for the G3 CPU. I would stick with Tiger though. Its the most recent to be getting security updates and will run much more recent versions of software. Get it up to 640MB of RAM and keep on going with 10.4

DrakkenWar
Dec 3, 2010, 12:16 AM
A bit on the backend for this post, but I will put in my 2 cents here. I used 10.2 on my G3 beige and it was okay. Did what I needed it to do. Have 10.3.9 here on my daul 533 and I know 10.4 would be a much better way to go, when I find the money I'll buy and install. With my Ti/400 the jump from 10.3 to 10.4 was a huge performance boost. With the hardware you have, it is in your best interest to upgrade. You will not regret it.

~Nathan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you are Sierra-Oscar-Lima. I am, as always Hotel-Tango-Hotel

=Digital Audio G4/Dual 533, OS 10.3.9, TiBook/400, 10.4.11, CC/8.1, SE/30/6.1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tom vilsack
Dec 3, 2010, 12:41 AM
ok thxs u2...will leave tiger on here,and just upgrade ram from 384 to 640 max

ps: off topic...could i install osx jaguar onto usb stick and then boot from that,or would g3 not detect usb stick? ...it's strange..my G3 wont detect my usb dvd,but will detect os 9.2.2 that i installed onto usb stick (using option key on boot)

iThinkergoiMac
Dec 3, 2010, 06:08 AM
Getting PPC Macs to boot off USB has always been finicky. Why do you want to boot Jaguar anyway? Vs boot Tiger or even Panther, Jaguar has no practical use unless there's a specific application that only runs in Jaguar. It's slow and unstable.

Hrududu
Dec 3, 2010, 11:14 AM
A PowerPC Mac will not boot up from a USB volume. It'll boot from a FireWire drive, but not USB

macgeek18
Dec 3, 2010, 12:01 PM
Jaguar is trash. I used it from the time it came out on a G3 until Panther was released and never looked back. 10.2 was full of bugs and ran slower than any OS in Apple history. If anything, 10.3 Panther was the best for the G3 CPU. I would stick with Tiger though. Its the most recent to be getting security updates and will run much more recent versions of software. Get it up to 640MB of RAM and keep on going with 10.4

I agree as well. Jaguar is trash, Panther or Tiger is the only way to go. Throw a 512MB DIMM in that G3 and your all set, I ran tiger on a 466Mhz Clamshell with 576MB ram for months at my main portable with no problems. :) Currently my slowest Mac is my iMac G4 with 768MB ram and Tiger. :) Tiger is awesome,except for no iTunes 10 support. :(

tom vilsack
Dec 3, 2010, 12:51 PM
A PowerPC Mac will not boot up from a USB volume. It'll boot from a FireWire drive, but not USB

i beg to differ

i installed os 9.2.2 onto usb stick and can boot off it...it's slow but does work np

proof:

http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=191
http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=192
http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=193

iThinkergoiMac
Dec 3, 2010, 09:02 PM

A common misconception.

That being said, I've never been able to actually get it to work...

tom vilsack
Dec 4, 2010, 01:00 AM
ithinkergoimac:

with os 9.2.2 it was same install as if installing to harddrive...

iThinkergoiMac
Dec 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
Interesting. My first Mac of my own is my PowerBook G4, which won't boot into Classic Mac OS. OS X won't let you install directly to USB from the installer.

tom vilsack
Dec 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
for fun tryed jagaur on G3 last night,firefox 2.0.0.20/flash 9 ect....BAD!!!! (really is slower then tiger)

made cc image of tiger install so in process of reimaging (usb 1.1 is so slowww)

raysfan81
Dec 7, 2010, 04:46 PM

Yeah don't mess with anything earlier than 10.3. 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 were all VERY slow and buggy like he said.