Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsteed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Florida
I own a company that supplies configured macs and now iPads to clients.
I currently have 4 new iPads I have for a client, they want all iPads configured with the same apps. How can I purchase several different licensed apps for each of the 4 different iPads. Then turn them over to them to run on their personal business macs? Their business firewall will not allow me to purchase any apps from their macs. Does anyone know how to buy apps and transfer ownership? Is it even possible?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Do you even own an iPhone or iPad? If you don't know such basic things as how app purchasing works, perhaps you shouldn't be doing it for other people. I suggest you hire someone who knows what they are doing, as I assume you are getting paid for this job.

jsteed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Florida
ahh flames in the morning

What a great first experience here at Mac Rumors. Of course I own an iPad and an iPhone, and have purchased many an app my friend. And I'm sure I've been buying, configuring and selling more macs than you can possibly imagine.
Apparently it is you that has no experience with purchasing things at the iTunes store, as the are associated with the account of the owner of the machine and it's iTunes account - licensed to that machine. Let me ask you a question.
Have you ever tried to purchase the same app you already have purchased and tried to put that app (legally) on another persons iPad? Honestly have you?
I seriously doubt it, if you had clearly you wouldn't have responded in such a rude and inept manner. And you would at least have some understanding of the problems encountered when trying to do so. Thank You anyway for your interesting reply.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Each Itunes account can be linked to 5 other accounts. This will let you share aaplications with five other accounts. I do this with my wife's account and mine at the house. That being said, I would imagine that Apple has a business solution and if they don't, they should.

If you do link the accounts, you will need to give them the password to that account so they can keep the apps up to date. Frankly it isn't the best solution for a business.

Maybe someone else can give you a better solution,

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Have you ever tried to purchase the same app you already have purchased and tried to put that app (legally) on another persons iPad? Honestly have you?

No, I havent actually tried, but I do know that app ownership isn't transferable, so what you have to do is repurchase the apps using your client's iTunes account(s). If they don't have one, set one up for them. If they do have one, tell them you need temporary access. Sorry about being rude, but it seemed like a very basic piece of info.

jsteed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Florida
Thanks wpotere

Thanks wpotere for your reply, yes I am aware that you can share with the 5 other accounts. The problem is I don't want my clients (way more than 5) using up my personal app availability. And I can't give them my password.
I could of course take their mac's off network bring in each of there mac's reconfig to my wi-fi network buy the app and install on the iPad - but what a pain!
You would think that Apple would have some sort of business solution, all I've been able to find is there expensive Developer solution which is major overkill for my needs.
Just wondering if any other businesses have encountered same types of problems with firewall and app licenses.
Thanks for your time and input.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Thanks wpotere for your reply, yes I am aware that you can share with the 5 other accounts. The problem is I don't want my clients (way more than 5) using up my personal app availability. And I can't give them my password.
I could of course take their mac's off network bring in each of there mac's reconfig to my wi-fi network buy the app and install on the iPad - but what a pain!
You would think that Apple would have some sort of business solution, all I've been able to find is there expensive Developer solution which is major overkill for my needs.
Just wondering if any other businesses have encountered same types of problems with firewall and app licenses.
Thanks for your time and input.

I think that you are hitting what Apple will hopefully soon figure out, that they really need a business solution.

jsteed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Florida
Thanks Night Spring

Thanks for the apology Night Spring, In all most all corporate settings most companies do not allow purchases to be made through there firewall -credit info etc or or applications to be downloaded -security and liability issues.
Of course as admin on their systems I could request special punch throughs from IT for each instance for each client - but it is massively time consuming and costly. And dealing with corporate IT -well let's just say it's a fun as a root canal on a Saturday morning.
I have to insure the proper licensing and installation for liability and reliability reasons for each client. It is a complex set of problems. I'm just looking and hoping to find an easier more cost effective solution for my clients.
Thanks for your time and reply.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the apology Night Spring, In all most all corporate settings most companies do not allow purchases to be made through there firewall -credit info etc or or applications to be downloaded -security and liability issues.

I guess what I don't understand is why you can't buy the apps from each iPad - you said you are just setting up 4, right?

Also, just to be sure, you did look at this?
http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/

EDIT: Had another thought. Get your client's iTunes user ID and a temporary password, sign in to their account on your computer, download apps and sync them to the iPads. Sign out from your cliemt's account.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.