PDA

View Full Version : Darwin flaws survive in Apple's Mac OS X

MacBytes
Jan 19, 2005, 09:45 AM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: Darwin flaws survive in Apple\'s Mac OS X (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050119104511)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

csubear
Jan 19, 2005, 10:09 AM
I would say that this company has questionable ethics. They told a bunch of people but not Apple. Whats up with that? I would also question the severity of the bugs. Sounds like they are just trying to generate a larger customer base.

How does one even start to plan an atack against to kernel process scehdular?

24C
Jan 19, 2005, 11:29 AM
Agreed, I thought Darwin was open source, so if you spot something, you inform the community? Anyway this was in June2004, and they held onto it for this long...looks like they needed their egos massaging. :(

TylerK9
Jan 19, 2005, 11:31 AM
No bad news about the Mac is too obscure or too stale for C|Net. Man, those guys are transparent...

Sun Baked
Jan 19, 2005, 11:33 AM
They were probably paid under the table by MS not to notify Apple, that way they could alway say the "community" has know about the flaw since June 2004 -- and Apple has yet to do anything.

nagromme
Jan 19, 2005, 01:33 PM
Run for the hills! :)

1. No OS will ever be perfect.

2. Therefore Mac OS X is not perfect.

3. Therefore Mac OS X has just as bad a virus problem as Windows.

4. Therefore Windows is better than Mac OS.

QED!

24C
Jan 19, 2005, 02:36 PM
Funny...thanks for that "nagromme", based on those arguments, I'll wait for Longhorn then, as should be even more secure than XP. :D

wrldwzrd89
Jan 19, 2005, 02:43 PM
If these flaws are in Darwin, not in the higher level parts of Mac OS X, surely the open source developer community is working on a fix for all the issues mentioned if they haven't already done so. This means all Apple must do is collect and merge the fixed code, test it, and release it as an update through their Software Update service. Problem solved.

shamino
Jan 19, 2005, 03:41 PM
1. No OS will ever be perfect.
2. Therefore Mac OS X is not perfect.
3. Therefore Mac OS X has just as bad a virus problem as Windows.
4. Therefore Windows is better than Mac OS.
QED!

If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as the man and then compare the relative brain sizes, we now find that the penguin's brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it was.

Santaduck
Jan 20, 2005, 03:24 AM
what? MR forums don't support the montypython bbcode extensions??? :eek:

anyways thank you to the submitter, neat article. I wonder if we'll actually see a patch, or if it affects bigger fish such as apple xsan.