PDA

View Full Version : 13 Free Songs With iPod Shuffle? Not really!

MacBytes
Jan 19, 2005, 10:06 AM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: 13 Free Songs With iPod Shuffle? Not really! (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050119110622)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Jan 19, 2005, 01:28 PM
Apple touts that every iPod Shuffle comes with 13 free songs from the iTunes Music Store. Sweet!? Yes, Apple gives you 13 songs, but they're chosen for you. Come on! In fact, all 13 are in a playlist, called a Motown sampler, and it's a real bummer.

Where does Apple advertise 13 free songs to get you to buy an iPod? I'm not saying it's not true, I've just never run across that except AFTER you already have an iPod.

And where does Apple suggest that you are getting a $13 credit to spend? The free songs are given away to promote artists, not just iTunes. Same with the other weekly freebies. Nothing new about that.

As for the album being a "bummer"... that's personal taste isn't it? I found a couple I liked OK, didn't like most of them... and didn't lose sleep over the rest.

Someone needs a nap :)

applextrent
Jan 19, 2005, 04:28 PM
When you buy an iPod shuffle there is a slip of paper included in the box telling you that you get 13 free songs. It does not specify which songs. Plus it promotes it as if its because you bought the iPod you get the songs. When in reality these songs are free to all, and you can only get the songs Apple decides you can have for free. Apple does not directly state you get credit, but "13 Free Songs" is a pretty loose statement for Apple to make. There has been a lot of confusion about this so thats why we published this. Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance. ;)

--Trent Lapinski
Apple-X.net

nagromme
Jan 19, 2005, 05:19 PM
I agree it's important to note--the wording just struck me as an overreaction :) (After all, within seconds of seeing the offer, you can log on and know the details... and Apple's not using the offer to get you to buy the iPod.)

Then again, I may be overreacting :D

jimsowden
Jan 19, 2005, 06:42 PM
Does this mean you do get 13 free songs with a real ipod?

timnosenzo
Jan 19, 2005, 07:14 PM
Does this mean you do get 13 free songs with a real ipod?
I think you get 13 free songs for doing nothing.

nagromme
Jan 19, 2005, 07:31 PM
Yes, anyone can get them. They're just not promoted except with iPods.

In fact, this week you can get 18 free songs! That 13-song sampler, plus the latest "Street Official Mixtape," plus three free weekly songs (no Discovery Download, but 3 others), plus an older weekly song is still free for some reason.

Links here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=102524

The current free stuff is:
iTunes Music Sampler (Motown Edition)
Street Official Mixtape Vol. 3
Be the Girl
Girlfight
Breakthrough
Lalala (search down that thread to find link)

It seems like there will no be FOUR weekly free downloads. The "free song of the week" as usual, a "hidden" Discovery Download as usual, plus a "Catch of the Week," and a weekly "Out of the Box Download."

Or only three, if there's no Discovery Download. Lately, there hasn't been one every week. This week there's none.