Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vix2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
I have managed to install virtualbox on my mba 11.6 with win 7 as the guest. I have a few problems and wondered if anyone can help me please.

1. The only way I can move from win 7 back to osx is to hold esc and drag the cursor down through the bottom of the win 7 window. Is this how its supposed to work?
2. I have set up a shared folder on osx and set it up on virtualbox but cannot mount it as instructed through the command menu.
3. Virtualbox doesn't recognise my pen drive but osx does.
4. Would it be advantageous to use win 7 lite as I only have 160 hd?

Excuse my asking seemingly simple tasks but I'm struggling with it, and cannot put anything on win 7 until I master it. Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
3. Virtualbox doesn't recognise my pen drive but osx does.

I can't address the others, since I don't use VB, but I can talk to this one.

You have to understand how USB devices are managed in a virtual machine environment.

A USB device, be it your pen drive, or even a built-in device like the iSight camera or SD card reader, can only be attached to a single "computer" at a time.

When running a VM you have two choices. Attach to the host or the VM.

When you configure your VM you can choose if some USB devices should be removed from the Mac host and instead attached to the VM. Fusion and Parallels at least provide tools to facilitate this for all USB devices attached to the system.

If you need simultaneous access, you'll need to set it up as a shared folder.

B

vix2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
have solved the usb problem. It seems all I had to do was eject it from the host os!!!! Any ideas on the other problems please?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I have managed to install virtualbox on my mba 11.6 with win 7 as the guest. I have a few problems and wondered if anyone can help me please.

1. The only way I can move from win 7 back to osx is to hold esc and drag the cursor down through the bottom of the win 7 window. Is this how its supposed to work?

Go to the Devices menu Install guest additions option to get the seamless mouse support added along with other enhancements you need to do this every time you upgrade VirtualBox as well.

2. I have set up a shared folder on osx and set it up on virtualbox but cannot mount it as instructed through the command menu.

Never has worked for me try creating a file mount.bat with this for the contents.

Code:
net use x: \\vboxsvr\VBox_Shared

Once done double click on it to have it executed in Windows you should now have an X drive in your Network Drives you would want to make sure that your VBox_Shared folder in the Devices menu Shared folders option now points to the directory you have chosen to share in OS X. To Access from windows you simply double click on the shared X drive from Explorer.

4. Would it be advantageous to use win 7 lite as I only have 160 hd?

Most likely depends on the amount of space you want used really.

vix2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks so much, managed to get everything working now even if not sure how!!! I'll no doubt be back when I run into the next problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.