PDA

View Full Version : HDR camera

bid2ask77
Dec 3, 2010, 11:42 AM
How many people really use the HDR camera feature on there Iphone 4. What are your thoughts on it.

QuarterSwede
Dec 3, 2010, 11:45 AM
How many people really use the HDR camera feature on there Iphone 4. What are your thoughts on it.
All the time. I set it so it keeps the original version as well just in case it happens to be better (1 our of 10 shots maybe).

Mabyboi
Dec 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
I use HDR all the time, but once in a while the original shot turns out to be better than the HDR shot...

vincenz
Dec 3, 2010, 12:11 PM
I don't like how it's so inconsistent. They should have a setting for auto HDR if that's possible. I also don't like how it slows down the picture-taking process so much.

Chunkycat
Dec 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
I don't use it all the time, but I like it when I do.

nutmac
Dec 3, 2010, 12:27 PM
I use it under bright lighting (or shooting against lighted backdrop). Under limited lighting, HDR usually does more harm than good, especially against moving subject.

2of3
Dec 4, 2010, 01:50 AM
I use it for ebay product shots, i find that it works well when used in conjunction with a daylight bulb.

wyneken
Dec 4, 2010, 10:43 AM
I use it and like it. I haven't done any detailed testing, but if shoot the same subject with Camera/HDR and a different app, like Clear Cam, that doesn't use HDR, there's a perceptible difference that usually comes out in Camera's favor.

TrueHDR and Pro HDR are better if you really want the whole HDR experience, and other apps are better if (like me) your hands tend to be unsteady while holding the camera. I like having a lot of choices.

Lately I've been using Hipstamatic most of the time, but I guess that's a different subject.

lexvo
Dec 4, 2010, 11:49 AM
I only use my phone camera on rare occasions, because I have a DSLR.

Tom G.
Dec 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
I use it when it is proper to use it, and I don't use it when it is not proper to use it.

It is meant to be used only when necessary. Google HDR photography and read what it is for. When you understand what and why a tool was developed and designed then you will be able to use it properly and get the best use out of it.

A screwdriver will not efficiently replace a hammer. Each has their own purpose.

joshwithachance
Dec 4, 2010, 05:13 PM
to me, it honestly feels like a built in photoshop. the way it enhances the brightness and stuff fixes almost all flaws automatically. I LOVE hdr mode!

LIVEFRMNYC
Dec 4, 2010, 05:44 PM
I use HDR all the time, but once in a while the original shot turns out to be better than the HDR shot...

Same here. Works great for indoors with normal to dim lighting, huge improvement from the original. If it's too bright tho ... Like being outside on a sunny day, HDR might make the picture worst.

JoelTGM
Dec 4, 2010, 05:59 PM
I always take HDR pictures. iPhone photos come out best when it's very sunny out, and if I ever take a picture that has the sky in it, then I will totally take it with HDR or I'd be missing out.

I use the Pro HDR app because I found colours were washed out otherwise, also it gives me more options and the ability to adjust contrast and everything.

Small White Car
Dec 4, 2010, 06:28 PM
It works wonderfully in sunlight when there's not much movement. If you don't have both of those factors then I leave it off. The times I have it on I probably keep half of the HDR shots and half the original shots.

So I keep 50% of the HDR shots I take which is probably only about 10% of all my iPhone photos. So I didn't vote. I don't hate it, but is a 10% usage rate the same as "love?"

Merkie
Dec 4, 2010, 07:48 PM
I only use my phone camera on rare occasions, because I have a DSLR.You always carry your DSLR around :confused: ?

lexvo
Dec 5, 2010, 04:21 AM
You always carry your DSLR around :confused: ?

As a matter of fact, when I'm on holiday: yes! :)

Fliesen
Dec 5, 2010, 04:34 AM
HDR ... meh

i barely take shots outside since i'm a big nerd ;)

xraydoc
Dec 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
I like it.