PDA

View Full Version : Should I get A PowerBook G4

Firebourne88
Dec 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
I have a Compaq Laptop specs are 1.8 pentium dual core cpu, 3gb ram, and 160 gb hard drive. I really want a apple laptop and found someone willing to trade a 1.67 15' PowerBook G4 2gb ram and 120gb hard drive. I play games, encode movies to DVD, surf the internet, and download music. I really dont care about the value of the trade as much as the age of the powerbook worries me. Could I still do everything I normally do on this, or am i better off just keeping my laptop.

macgeek18
Dec 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have a Compaq Laptop specs are 1.8 pentium dual core cpu, 3gb ram, and 160 gb hard drive. I really want a apple laptop and found someone willing to trade a 1.67 15' PowerBook G4 2gb ram and 120gb hard drive. I play games, encode movies to DVD, surf the internet, and download music. I really dont care about the value of the trade as much as the age of the powerbook worries me. Could I still do everything I normally do on this, or am i better off just keeping my laptop.

I don't really know, it depends on how much you want a Mac I guess. Those PB's are great, especially a 1.67 wit 2GB of ram. But,they are limited and still keep getting more outdated, don't get me wrong,I love PowerPC,look at my sig. But they are getting there in age and soon won't even be supported,your best bet is to save a bit,sell the windows machine and get a refurb MacBook. Intel is where it's at for Macs. :) hope that helps.

iWright
Dec 3, 2010, 12:41 PM
The striking thing in your requirements, for me, is the video encoding. I'd say that if it's going to have a problem with something it will be that. Can't say for certain but that's where my main concern is. Perhaps check the forums of the software you use and see if there are any PB users on there.

Firebourne88
Dec 3, 2010, 01:19 PM
The striking thing in your requirements, for me, is the video encoding. I'd say that if it's going to have a problem with something it will be that. Can't say for certain but that's where my main concern is. Perhaps check the forums of the software you use and see if there are any PB users on there.

I mean the video encoding is a big part for me but im not gonna lie i d/l movies and code them to dvd thats it isnt that bad of a drain and the only reason i say that is because I did it on a P4 dektop with 2gb of ram, do you all think I would be ok doin?

Hrududu
Dec 3, 2010, 02:28 PM
I mean the video encoding is a big part for me but im not gonna lie i d/l movies and code them to dvd thats it isnt that bad of a drain and the only reason i say that is because I did it on a P4 dektop with 2gb of ram, do you all think I would be ok doin?
If you did it on a P4, then you'll be fine doing it on a G4. The Powerbook is also much better built than the Compaq, so it'll probably outlive it. Compaq/HP laptops are just not well built.

alust2013
Dec 3, 2010, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. You are going from more ram with a dual core CPU to a GB less ram and a slower, single core CPU. You would take a huge hit on performance, and being that the computer you are looking at is 5 years old, who knows how much longer it has.

Firebourne88
Dec 3, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input i think im gonna do the trade i really appreciate it