Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
xsedrinam said:
..long as my mini mac plays and pleases,
snuggled up in the dashboard of my car.
http://news.com.com/Putting+the+Mac+Mini+in+your+dashboard/2100-1042_3-5539831.html?tag=mac.nn

Looks like New Yorkers can be the first to get their new Mac Mini installed in the dashboard of their car.
X

Sounds like the Mac mini will make a great in car system. Are you planning to have one installed in your car and what model? It will certainly be better than a PC. It would be limitless the things that could be done.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
That article mentions two start-ups that are already using the superior design of the mac-mini to their advantage. And to think his Steveness didn't look terribly pleased when he intruduced it. How many more businesses will the mac-mini inspire?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
... as long as I got my plastic Jesus sitting on the dashboard of my car...

Ironically, that Flaming Lips song popped up on Party Shuffle this morning.

The song is *******(Porch version) from the She Don't Use Jelly single.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Xtremehkr said:
... as long as I got my plastic Jesus sitting on the dashboard of my car...

Ironically, that Flaming Lips song popped up on Party Shuffle this morning.

The song is *******(Porch version) from the She Don't Use Jelly single.

A little off topic but - The original Lips version appears on the "Transmmissions From the Satellite Heart" album but the song is much older than that...

From http://www.songfacts.com

Plastic Jesus by Eddie Marrs
Album: Cool Hand Luke Soundtrack
Date: 1967

The Eddie Marrs version was made popular by the movie Cool Hand Luke. The song is often credited to him but was actually written by Ed Rush and George Cromarty. Ed Rush traced the song back to an African-American camp-meeting song with the lyrics, "I don't care if it rains or freezes, leaning on the arms of my Jesus," which was the theme song of a religious radio program broadcast from Baton Rouge in the 1940's.

Some people are offended by the lyrics and fail to realize that the song is not meant to be sacrilegious but is actually aimed at those who cheapen the image of Jesus by selling plastic gee-gaws, cheap little trinkets in His image and other religious kitsch.

It seems that the original version was recorded by Cromarty and Rush as The Goldcoast Singers, but in the context of a fake spiritual radio broadcast, including only two verses and no chorus. Marrs developed it into a much more complete song, and apparently took credit. There are many alternate verses that have been added over the years.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
aricher said:
A little off topic but - The original Lips version appears on the "Transmmissions From the Satellite Heart" album but the song is much older than that...

From http://www.songfacts.com

Plastic Jesus by Eddie Marrs
Album: Cool Hand Luke Soundtrack
Date: 1967

The Eddie Marrs version was made popular by the movie Cool Hand Luke. The song is often credited to him but was actually written by Ed Rush and George Cromarty. Ed Rush traced the song back to an African-American camp-meeting song with the lyrics, "I don't care if it rains or freezes, leaning on the arms of my Jesus," which was the theme song of a religious radio program broadcast from Baton Rouge in the 1940's.

Some people are offended by the lyrics and fail to realize that the song is not meant to be sacrilegious but is actually aimed at those who cheapen the image of Jesus by selling plastic gee-gaws, cheap little trinkets in His image and other religious kitsch.

It seems that the original version was recorded by Cromarty and Rush as The Goldcoast Singers, but in the context of a fake spiritual radio broadcast, including only two verses and no chorus. Marrs developed it into a much more complete song, and apparently took credit. There are many alternate verses that have been added over the years.

Thanks for the info, it's a quirky little song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.