Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peteofthenorth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Hi everyone Im a nube! Ok been around Macs for only 2 years and I love them.

Im have a problem with a white Macbook 13' 160G HD 4 G of RAM . I had a heating issue where my fan broke took it in and the repair place replaced it but warned me the HD was making an odd rhythmic clicking sound.
The odd problem is that every minute or it will prompt me
"Are you sure you would like to shut down your computer now? "

Everything seems to be working fine. other than that annoying prompt.

Is my HD going?

Everything was backed up. I wiped the HD and started over to no avail.

Am I screwed or is there something I can do to stop the prompt?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
A clicking sound from the HD is always bad and likely means it will fail soon. You should back up your data and prepare to get a new drive to be put in it. See the Hard Drive Guide for other details.

Peteofthenorth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Yes I plan to get a new HD as this one is only 120 G not 160 as previously mentioned.

I will post a screen capture but it is the run of the mill prompt asking if you want to shut down.

By changing the HD will that solve that or is that another issue?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Even if it's run of the mill, I can't immediately think of a prompt that asks, in those specific words, "Are you sure you want to shut your computer down?". The closest thing I can think of is Software Update asking if you want to restart your computer now or later.

Or, of course, clicking Shut Down from the Apple Menu.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
The prompt sounds unrelated to the HD issue to me but who knows?

Hard Drives generally don't have little hiccups like what you describe. They either work or they don't.

Get an external drive and clone your mac using SuperDuper. Boot from that external drive and work off of it for a while.

Peteofthenorth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate any kind of advice.

I did wipe the HD and using time machine I reloaded all my programs. Everything works great with the annoying prompt keeps coming up. When asked if I would like to shut down now I pressed "shut down" and it reboots. The only way to shut the laptop down is by pressing and holding down the power button.

Will getting a new and larger HD solve this problem?
Here is the screen shot.

What pisses me off it that I brought it in and they( Dijital Majic, St Cloud, MN) replaced the fan, they should have told me about the prompt. :mad: I know they knew it was there he said they had it on all night to see if it was going to shut down. (original problem) I would have like to have been warned.

Screen%20shot%202010-12-04%20at%209.37.43%20AM.png

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
This is completely unrelated to your hard drive, the timing is simply coincidental. That's the prompt you get when pressing the power button. It's possible you have a faulty power button and it's randomly "pressing" itself. It could be something with the OS. Try making a new user and seeing if it happens there. If it does, try reinstalling the OS from the install disc without using the Time Machine backup, and see if it still happens.

If one of those things fixes it, you've got some kind of weird software issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.