Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d0105950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
I can't get Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit or 32bit) to install on my mid 2010 MBP 2.4 Core2Duo 4Gb Ram 250gb hdd). I created a 40gb partition successfully, but I only have A DVD of Windows 7 Upgrade. I have an ISO (legally obtained) of the full version. When I try to install from the upgrade disc with custom installation, not upgrade, I get to "Expanding Windows Files" and then it hangs at 0% forever. I have a 320gb external hard drive. I have already restored my computer with Time Machine today. Still, no luck. Does anyone out there know what to do? I appreciate your help in advance.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
How long have you left it when it's Expenading Windows Files? I know that when I installed Windows 7 Professional x64 on my MacBook Pro (from an upgrade disc), it hangs on that part for a while at 0% before it gets going.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Try burning the iso to a dvd-rw instead of a dvd-r. I had a similar issue and this was the problem.

d0105950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Weeeellll....

This requires Windows. I don't have that option... I would be willing to use VMWare to make a virtual machine and convert to BootCamp, If that's even possible. I left it at 0% for about an hour. The disk will spin up for around 2 seconds then stop, so it's not doing anything. The "Copying Windows Files" step takes about 1 second, I don't know if that's a problem. I tried booting from a USB, but I couldn;t figure out how to make it bootable without using Linux live CDs, which I would rather not mess around with. I found a Gizmodo guide to making a bootable USB with Mac, but to boot from it, you have to go to a BIOS screen, which I don;t know is possible on a Windows install. It involved going to terminal, unmounting your disk, entering "sudo dd if=path/to/windows.iso of=dev/disk(number of disk) bs=1m" then ejecting the disk. I could not get it to show up in rEFIt as a boot option, only the Windows partition which won't boot without the DVD. When it does boot, it just gets stuck at Expanding Windows Files again. Thanks again for your help.

Tyler

(EDIT): and I will try getting a DVD-RW.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

When you install Windows without a product key from your upgrade disc you have Windows. ;)

The simplest method is install W7 without a key, then upgrade over that.

The pressed disc from Microsoft should be better than any burned disc.

You can also use VMWare as described in the "without super drive" thread. You use VMWare to copy the files to the Boot Camp partition and the first time you reboot you go native.

B

d0105950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

When you install Windows without a product key from your upgrade disc you have Windows. ;)

The simplest method is install W7 without a key, then upgrade over that.

The pressed disc from Microsoft should be better than any burned disc.

You can also use VMWare as described in the "without super drive" thread. You use VMWare to copy the files to the Boot Camp partition and the first time you reboot you go native.

B

I don't have a Windows pressed disc. When I try to install Windows without a product key, It gets stuck on "Expanding Windows Files" again. Can you provide a link to the VMware thread? or is it https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/601414/?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Can you provide a link to the VMware thread? or is it https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/601414/?

That's the thread. From that, you should be able to install direct from your ISO without burning it to a disc, but it requires additional hoops.

Sorry I was reading from my iOS devices yesterday so I didn't provide links as easily.

Note that if all you have is an upgrade key you will still have to follow the guide I provided to get it to activate from a clean install.

B

d0105950

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
That's the thread. From that, you should be able to install direct from your ISO without burning it to a disc, but it requires additional hoops.

Sorry I was reading from my iOS devices yesterday so I didn't provide links as easily.

Note that if all you have is an upgrade key you will still have to follow the guide I provided to get it to activate from a clean install.

B

I REALLY didn't understand the guide. I'm only 14! D': :(

But I found a DVD+RW. Writing the Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Non-Upgrade Full ISO as we (speak?) speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.