Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Long story, but my wife wants an 11" MBA, but due to my own travel requirements I'll need to use it for a month or so to do some Revit work. Obviously this isn't ideal, and I'm not looking for recommendations on better machines for the job. The situation is what it is.

My question is whether I'll have trouble creating a Boot Camp partition and a Windows 7 install on an Air, particularly due to the lack of an optical drive? I have a computer I can disk share with, and I know it would work fine with OS X installs, but windows?

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Long story, but my wife wants an 11" MBA, but due to my own travel requirements I'll need to use it for a month or so to do some Revit work. Obviously this isn't ideal, and I'm not looking for recommendations on better machines for the job. The situation is what it is.

My question is whether I'll have trouble creating a Boot Camp partition and a Windows 7 install on an Air, particularly due to the lack of an optical drive? I have a computer I can disk share with, and I know it would work fine with OS X installs, but windows?

The only difficulty I ran into when installing windows 7 is creating the boot drive with a usb. Installing windows on the air is like any other mac. All you haft to do is find instructions for a windows 7 boot drive. Heres the link I used http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31012_7-20020513-10355804.html

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa

I installed Windows 7 on my new MBA with a Time Machine backup to a Time Capsule of the VMware virtual machine that is on my MBP. I simply made an Ethernet connection between the Time Capsule and the MBA and used Migration Assistant to migrate to the MBA the MBP's setup, including its VM containing Windows 7. I set up Migration Assistant to run just before I went to bed one night and when I checked the next morning, everything that is on the MBP was also on the MBA. Of course, you can choose what you want to be migrated if it is less than everything that is contained in the backup.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia

gwsat said:

I installed Windows 7 on my new MBA with a Time Machine backup to a Time Capsule of the VMware virtual machine that is on my MBP. I simply made an Ethernet connection between the Time Capsule and the MBA and used Migration Assistant to migrate to the MBA the MBP's setup, including its VM containing Windows 7. I set up Migration Assistant to run just before I went to bed one night and when I checked the next morning, everything that is on the MBP was also on the MBA. Of course, you can choose what you want to be migrated if it is less than everything that is contained in the backup.

Time machine is perfect, thanks! Not only do I need a BC partition on the Air, but I need the files / software from my current partition, which I was planning to reinstall / transfer manually after BC creation.. And when I'm done I can reformat the drive and it'll be like new for my wife.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Time machine is perfect, thanks! Not only do I need a BC partition on the Air, but I need the files / software from my current partition, which I was planning to reinstall / transfer manually after BC creation.. And when I'm done I can reformat the drive and it'll be like new for my wife.
Glad that migrating a Time Machine backup from another Mac to your new MBA worked out as well for you as it did for me. If there is a more useful utility in OS X than Migration Assistant, I don't know what it might be.

d5280

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
how did the revit go?

Hey would you mind letting me know your impressions of revit on the mba 11? I have a desktop and I'm thinking about getting the tiny laptop just to do some minor work at home on the couch at night.

is it workable? are you on 2011?

run into any issues? out of memory issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.