PDA

View Full Version : itunes won't let me download my purchased music - please help

Fredstar
Jan 19, 2005, 05:27 PM
When i was buying some music today from itms the downloading process stopped and i got a "there was an error downloading your purchased music. An unknown error occured (-50)" although the error number changes.
I tried to download my stuff (using advanced and check for purchased music) at least 6 times now and it gets about half the songs downloaded (varies) and then gives me the same message but sometimes with a different error code.
I have bought a lot of music and would like to listen to it :p
Anyone experience with this?
It happens with all purchased music now :(

m-dogg
Jan 19, 2005, 05:45 PM
Do you have the latest version of iTunes? I run into some odd problems when my iTunes software was old. You might want to check that.

MacsRgr8
Jan 19, 2005, 05:46 PM
I haven't experienced any problems like this, but maybe you could try this:

- Check and Repair disk permissions (maybe your iTMS download folder can't be accessed, i.e. no write access?)

- Trash all iTunes-related prefs. (In ~(=<YOUR HOME>)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunes.<...>.plist)

- ... you have rebooted and tried again?

- Try downloading iTunes 4.7.1 (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/) again, and try again....

Sparky's
Jan 19, 2005, 05:55 PM
Been there done that, don't panic!

When I tried to buy my daughter music on Christmas day the same thing happened.

What Apple told me to do was 1.) wait a while. 2.) go to the music Store to "Your Account" then in the Menu bar under "Advanced" go to "Check for Purchased Music" once you do that if the song was purchased but got an error while downloading it will download with out problems. If you get the message again, then try later. Remember Apple shares quadrupled during the holidays and the sale of iPods has created a very unusual situation at Apple- not enough servers to handle all the traffic of all the new iPods in the hands of millions of little teeny boppers and us regular users :eek:
So be patient and check the "Check for Purchased Music" in the Advanced menu. :rolleyes:

mojo2go
Jan 19, 2005, 06:07 PM
This happened to me, too - and here is what I did:

I went to another computer where I also had my iTunes account. I opened the store, and was going to attempt to buy just a single song - but first it gave me the option to fully download what I hadn't been able to on my other computer. (In other words, it knew I had purchased music with my account, but didn't successfully download it.) You'll then have to burn it to CD and transfer to your other computer where your full playlists and library are.

I didn't actually have to buy another song -- just starting the process to purchase prompted the option. (However, if it doesn't prompt you - I would back out and try something else. Certainly NOT attempt to buy more music!)

In any event -- maybe this will work for you, too.

Fredstar
Jan 19, 2005, 06:20 PM
1)got 4.7.1
2)repaired permission
3)done all your suggestions (thanks btw)

Still got the error, i think i will leave it for tomoz and see what happens. I buy tons of music from itms and this is the first time it has happened and did a search on the itunes support site but noone had any solutions.
If it is not all fixed by tomoz will give good ol Apple a call.
thanks guys and will update, it is only a few songs but the wanted to hear them now, :p, which is the great thing about itms

Fredstar
Jan 20, 2005, 03:25 AM
All sorted now and downloaded fine this morn, i guess it was because the servers were too busy :p