Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have a number of flv files that I'd like to convert to mp4. I believe this can be used through ATV, correct? Reading this tutorial, it seems as though I should be able to do the conversion through VLC itself and not have to worry about handbrake or isquint.
http://www.edsupport.cc/mguhlin/share/index.php?n=Work.VideoGrabVLCflv2mov

however, whenever I attempt to do this, it restarts the conversion after 10-15 seconds.
In handbrake, whenever I try to convert to a mp4 (vs mpv), the application quits. I don't want to add all these videos to itunes, I just want them converted into a quicktime friendly format that could also be used on ATV. Any help?
thanks!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have found one or two FLV files that Handbrake barfs on, but in general, it's been pretty reliable converting to both AppleTV and iPhone using the built-in presets for both devices.

Note I use the "nightly build" version, not the official 0.9.4 release.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
i've been able to get around handbrake crashing by converting flv to m4v and simply renaming the file mp4.

still doesn't answer the conversion process directly from VLC though.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
speaking of FLV's, has anyone found a product that will download the 1080P videos on youtube?

I have taken allot of my favorite flv formatted youtube videos and transcoded them to mp4 so i can watch them on my touch or iphone at will. the 1080P ones would be really nice to have as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.