PDA

View Full Version : Can you give me some buying advice?

X2theZ325
Dec 4, 2010, 07:14 PM
I am going to order a MBA 11" this week. I could really use some advice on what specifications I should buy. I will be using the laptop for your everyday basic needs (music, pictures, occasional movie, surfing the web, e-mails, word processing etc.) I am definitely going to upgrade the ram to 4gb because I think it is worth the $100 and you can't upgrade later. So, basically I don't know if I should buy the base model with 4gb ram, or if I should buy the 128gb model with 4gb ram. Then if I decide to go with the 128gb model, then you get the opportunity to get the faster processor. Does anyone have any experience with the 2 different processor speeds? Is there a significant difference between the 1.4ghz and 1.6ghz? Thanks in advance for your help!

teski
Dec 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
How big is your music and picture collection? My iTunes database is huge as is my photo collection, and I'm not into having my library on an external drive so I always go for the largest drive config possible.

If I were you (again not knowing your personal data details), I'd got for 128GB drive and 4GB RAM for sure. Now at that point, I'd just get a maxed out unit.

X2theZ325
Dec 4, 2010, 07:49 PM
My music and photo collection is only about 10gb at this point! So, I will have plenty of room to grow even with the smaller 64gb hard drive. One of the reasons I would go for the 128gb hard drive is for the ability to get the faster processor if it is worth it. I am unsure if the difference between the 1.4ghz and 1.6ghz processor is even substantial or noticable.

MacBook08
Dec 4, 2010, 08:14 PM
I am unsure if the difference between the 1.4ghz and 1.6ghz processor is even substantial or noticable.

Read this: Apple's 11-inch Upgraded MacBook Air: Do 1.6GHz and 4GB Make a Difference? (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4000/apples-11inch-upgraded-macbook-air-review-do-16ghz-and-4gb-make-a-difference)

MoreAwesomeDanU
Dec 4, 2010, 08:19 PM
hey, im in the same situation as you. Except theres no way im going for the 11 ultimate. Originally thats what i bought, and the bill came down to $1600 after tax with education discount... Which was just ridiculous to me. I didn't open it and returned it. Now im getting a basic + 4gb

It all depends on how you plan to use it really. First of all, i don't think 0.2ghz is gonna make a noticeable difference. maybe if you render a movie or apply a Photoshop filter, it will be a few seconds faster, but other than that i doubt it. For the harddrive, on my current mbp, i only used 33gb and i used it for school for 4 years now. I keep all my music on my iphone/car/home computer cuz playing it off the laptop will just make ur battery last shorter. Theres really not much point to view photos on such a small screen all the time. If i do need to i can use a external harddrive or a 32gb usb stick (which are super cheap now days)

4GB ram for $90 was kind of a no brainer tho. Except now i have to wait for the shipping.

X2theZ325
Dec 4, 2010, 09:23 PM
Thank you for the link to that article... it was a big help!

potentpotable
Dec 4, 2010, 10:27 PM
If your usage is primarily light (no Photoshop and Aperture, etc.), then a basic processor is fine. Hell, it even runs CoD4!

As for the hard drive, 64GB probably suffices. I have a 128GB, and what I do is put all non-essential files (like movies and photos) on an external, plugging it in when I want to view them. I just have music (50GB) and school files on the SSD, because I don't want to have to plug in an HD every time I open iTunes.

robby818
Dec 4, 2010, 11:07 PM
If this is going to be your main computer then 4GB/128 GB is the way to go..but at that point I would take a strong look at the 13" and even consider going with the base model if you do not run a lot of apps at the same time.