Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonLafontaine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
I have a M0001 original Macintosh and a A9M0303 printer (I think this is a "Imagewriter"), which gives me the following error message when I try to print: "You have an old printer driver. Put new System on your disk." How do I do this? I do have a separate System Disk, but not sure about how to use it. Also, how can I find if this one has the signatures on the interior? The Serial Number is F4352C5M0001.

Last edited:

MJM1977

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Aurora, CO
Yes, this machine should have the signatures on the inside. According to the serial number this is a original Mac made in Fremont, California in the35th week of 1984, and was the 2725th Mac produced that week.

See here to decode classic Mac serial numbers:
http://myoldmac.net/FAQ/Mac-Serialnumber-decoder-e.php

As for the printing issue... I'm not sure. You can try booting from the other disk and seeing if it will print. Not sure what program are you trying to print from. One option is to take a blank floppy and copy the system from the newer disk, and the program from the other disk and put them on the same floppy.

Many original 128K Macs have been upgraded... does this have 128K RAM, or has it been upgraded to a 512K board? The floppy drive may also have been upgraded from 400K to 800K.

DonLafontaine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the response. I copied the imagewriter file from the original system disc (swapping discs is fun) and so the imagewriter now prints. I purchased a cartridge off ebay because the old one had run out of ink, but the images are coming out more "scrunched" than they should be. I believe it is a problem with the feeding mechanism, but any help would be much appreciated. This does not have the original 128k chip and was upgraded, but I do believe it has the orignal disc drive. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.