PDA

View Full Version : MobileMe renewal for $40: good deal, or wait?

fe1000
Dec 4, 2010, 11:33 PM
So apparently MobileMe renewals have dropped to $40. Is this a good deal, or should I wait?

Amazon.com (http://outgoing.ipodtouchfans.com/?d=aHR0cDovL2dvby5nbC9kakdxcw~~)

rdowns
Dec 5, 2010, 06:43 AM
Wait for what?

JuanGuapo
Dec 5, 2010, 11:05 AM
I just bought two. :)

Weaselboy
Dec 5, 2010, 11:40 AM
That's the best price I have seen. I just ordered it. Thanks

mcx
Dec 5, 2010, 02:30 PM
If the shop send the key via email the license ll be bought :)

Thanks for posting.

jav6454
Dec 5, 2010, 03:30 PM
Wow, nice deal... got one.

coollai
Dec 5, 2010, 10:59 PM
Bought a family pack and an individual pack [old version] and had no issue applying the codes at all. Furthermore, mine is not a US account :)

mcx
Dec 6, 2010, 08:18 AM
Bought a family pack and an individual pack [old version] and had no issue applying the codes at all. Furthermore, mine is not a US account :)

Did the shop send the code via email?

Weaselboy
Dec 6, 2010, 08:49 AM
Did the shop send the code via email?

My order says the item has shipped via UPS, so it looks like it will be the boxed version.

ulbador
Dec 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
They are generally shipped. Which is great because you get the cute little Apple stickers.

coollai
Dec 6, 2010, 08:51 PM
Mine is the box version.

wirelessmacuser
Dec 6, 2010, 08:54 PM
So apparently MobileMe renewals have dropped to $40. Is this a good deal, or should I wait?

I noticed it says "old version" what is the significance?

rdowns
Dec 7, 2010, 07:27 AM

There is none.

ulbador
Dec 7, 2010, 09:27 AM

Generally a discount between 40 and 60$. That is all.

BacklitFirefly
Dec 9, 2010, 08:06 PM
I just bought two from Amazon for $43 each -- not a bad deal at all.
(Edit to add -- COOLNESS! I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, from the same vendor. Great seller.)

Weaselboy
Dec 10, 2010, 05:34 AM
Just to follow up with everyone, I got my order and it was the "old" boxed version as expected. I went to me.com/activate and entered the number provided in the box and it updated my account for another year... no problems.

Applepi
Dec 11, 2010, 02:37 AM
Just to follow up with everyone, I got my order and it was the "old" boxed version as expected. I went to me.com/activate and entered the number provided in the box and it updated my account for another year... no problems.

Good to hear, this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

baypharm
Dec 11, 2010, 12:16 PM

Well you can always buy from Apple for $99.......

txa1265
Dec 13, 2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks again, I am less than 30 days from auto-renew and wasn't going to pay another $100 (which would have made $800 total!) ... but failed to migrate my life off of MobileMe this year ... again!

Question: what happens to my AppleID (linked to my iTunes account, etc) if I dump MobileMe?

Weaselboy
Dec 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks again, I am less than 30 days from auto-renew and wasn't going to pay another $100 (which would have made $800 total!) ... but failed to migrate my life off of MobileMe this year ... again!

Question: what happens to my AppleID (linked to my iTunes account, etc) if I dump MobileMe?

I know you can go to your account in iTunes and change your iTunes ID, so I would do that before you cancel I suppose. I don't know what would happen if you cancel and leave it the same.

fe1000
Dec 19, 2010, 03:27 AM
Mine is the box version.

Ditto.

thewhitehart
Dec 19, 2010, 09:38 AM
I have a feeling there will be a free option in 2011, once the data center is fully operational. Unless the Rebels blow it up.

andiwm2003
Dec 19, 2010, 09:52 AM
I have a feeling there will be a free option in 2011, once the data center is fully operational. Unless the Rebels blow it up.

apple has a million mobile me subscribers who pay ~$99 per year. no way they will make the service free. parts of it maybe but there will always be a premium part that will cost money. i ope with the data center they get the service to actually work reliably and fast. the $40 is a very good price.........

iFalcon
Dec 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
I just signed up about 3 weeks ago for MobileMe. The trial expires in January.

does buying the $40+ old version from Amazon override the trial period price of 99 that would kick in at the end of the trial?

I don't want to dinged for both a 99 and then the 40 cost from amazon.

Thanks.

someone28624
Dec 19, 2010, 10:38 AM
I just signed up about 3 weeks ago for MobileMe. The trial expires in January.

does buying the $40+ old version from Amazon override the trial period price of 99 that would kick in at the end of the trial?

I don't want to dinged for both a 99 and then the 40 cost from amazon.

Thanks.

Yes. I just bought this from Amazon and upgraded from a trial. My membership extended until 1 year from the day the trial would have ended.

thewhitehart
Dec 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
apple has a million mobile me subscribers who pay ~$99 per year. no way they will make the service free. parts of it maybe but there will always be a premium part that will cost money. i ope with the data center they get the service to actually work reliably and fast. the $40 is a very good price.........

I agree. Parts of it should be charged for, on a tier based system. But the way cloud computing is advancing, Apple is far, far behind its competitors. iOS products have to be more integrated with the cloud to compete with Android. I think bookmark, contact, and calendar syncing is the next to go free. Maybe even some iDisk storage space. I am still hoping for a paid version with tiered pricing based on storage.

The massive data center is a definite sign of some sort of cloud offering beyond what MobileMe currently does. Jobs even gave a hint in one of his one liner emails.

bigrash
Dec 24, 2010, 05:31 PM
I should have bought this from amazon when I saw it for $41 when the thread was posted. The price is up to $56 now.

Weaselboy
Dec 25, 2010, 06:56 AM
Too bad the deal is gone. I do see some for $49.99 with free shipping on eBay.

Squadleader
Jan 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
Too bad the deal is gone. I do see some for $49.99 with free shipping on eBay.

I missed out on it to, back up to 64 bucks....:mad:

jent
Jan 2, 2011, 06:08 PM
So Apple sells MobileMe for $69 if bundled with a Mac, iPhone, or iPad. My question is, how can anyone afford to sell it under that price point? Does Apple sell MobileMe boxes wholesale for much under that, do resellers just take a hit hoping it'll be a loss leader for other products, or are they stolen serials?

Weaselboy
Jan 3, 2011, 07:05 PM
I don't think they are stolen. I doubt Amazon.com would sell stolen products. There may just be a large markup direct from Apple.