PDA

View Full Version : System Profiler RAM Slots

Thiol
Dec 5, 2010, 02:35 AM
Someone else pointed out in another thread that on the 11" MBA with 4 GB, if you look in System Profiler under memory, the software says that there are two RAM slots. I can confirm that on my MBA. So:

1) Is the same true on the 13" with 4 GB RAM?
2) Has anyone published a tear down of a 4 GB model just to be absolutely sure that there is only one soldered RAM slot? (I know it's unlikely that a second one got crammed in there, but I'd just like to see the tear down picture)...

centymeat
Dec 5, 2010, 02:47 AM
Someone else pointed out in another thread that on the 11" MBA with 4 GB, if you look in System Profiler under memory, the software says that there are two RAM slots. I can confirm that on my MBA. So:

1) Is the same true on the 13" with 4 GB RAM?
2) Has anyone published a tear down of a 4 GB model just to be absolutely sure that there is only one soldered RAM slot? (I know it's unlikely that a second one got crammed in there, but I'd just like to see the tear down picture)...

Yes same on the 13" with 4gb ram.

As for the teardown, i am pretty positive ram is soldiered on.

KnightWRX
Dec 5, 2010, 08:03 AM
It's soldered on and not upgradeable. This has been covered. Don't get your hopes up on user upgradeable RAM, it's just not there.

Thiol
Dec 5, 2010, 11:55 AM
It's soldered on and not upgradeable. This has been covered. Don't get your hopes up on user upgradeable RAM, it's just not there.

We know for a fact that the 2 GB models are soldered. But to the best of my knowledge, no one has published a tear down for a 4 GB model. I just want to see it to be 100% sure even though I'm already 99% sure.

Synchromesh
Dec 5, 2010, 02:42 PM
Why is this so hard to accept? The mere fact that Apple makes all 4GB models CTO is a good indication of that. Otherwise, they would just let the stores add RAM.

KnightWRX
Dec 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
We know for a fact that the 2 GB models are soldered. But to the best of my knowledge, no one has published a tear down for a 4 GB model. I just want to see it to be 100% sure even though I'm already 99% sure.

And we're all 100% sure.

Thiol
Dec 5, 2010, 06:31 PM
And we're all 100% sure.

Can you link us to a teardown of a 4 GB model?

Thiol
Dec 5, 2010, 06:33 PM
Why is this so hard to accept? The mere fact that Apple makes all 4GB models CTO is a good indication of that. Otherwise, they would just let the stores add RAM.

I'm just curious, not resistant. Software showing two RAM slots is probably just a quirk, but it's worth following on I guess.

bcaslis
Dec 5, 2010, 06:39 PM
It's not showing slots, it's showing banks. RAM is often in two banks for interleaved access for faster speeds. Being in physically removable slots is not required for this.

It's 100% soldered to the logic board. No slots, no upgradability.

Thiol
Dec 5, 2010, 06:46 PM
It's not showing slots, it's showing banks. RAM is often in two banks for interleaved access for faster speeds. Being in physically removable slots is not required for this.

It's 100% soldered to the logic board. No slots, no upgradability.

I didn't know the distinction. That helps. Thanks!