Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
This is probably a stupid question but... Theres been lots of snow over the past week and things came to a standstill in the UK. Luckily for now it's gone away but. I ordered my 13" Air last night and estimated delivery is 21st of December.

I'm basically worrying if it snows again whether Apple will deliver or not? Does anyone have any experience of this? The answer is probably that they won't but I will ask anyway. This is my first Mac so i'm kinda worried and seriously excited.

Thanks in advance,
Kris

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple doesn't deliver it, it's usually FedEx, UPS or TNT. Snow shouldn't stop them, at least it doesn't here in Finland.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
In the UK though most things stopped, got sent home from last lesson because it was snowing, wasn't too bad but then after the weekend there was like a decent amount for us and we were in school so it is quite temperamental. Shouldn't be held up too much though if it is snowing, my family has had a few deliveries the past few days and postmen are still going so I think you should be alright

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Ah well thats quite good news then. Lets hope they will deliver IF it snows. *prays to delivery gods and snow gods*

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
If there are any issues with the weather, it will still be delivered, just maybe a day or two later.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Its rare (at least in the U.S.) if weather stops a delivery. Also often you can go to the Fedex or UPS warehouse to pick it up. I do that when UPS or FedEx pretends it can't find my address.

Congrats on your new Air by the way! I LOVE mine and use it all the time. Its actually getting more use than my desktop right now.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If it snows, there's a good chance your MBA will get burned to keep the delivery guy warm. Also, delivery services close for 4 months a year because of the snow, so you better hope Apple ships your unit out before the delivery close-down of 2010-2011 or you're only getting your product in April.

Good luck to you my friend, you should have ordered sooner.

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
It did say on Apples site that if i ordered now it will be delivered on the 21st... Maybe i should of bought it in store :/

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It did say on Apples site that if i ordered now it will be delivered on the 21st... Maybe i should of bought it in store :/

Apple's system doesn't account for the 4 months delivery close downs because in the south hemisphere, winter is actually during the June-September period and some parts of the world don't have snow year round. It would mean too many variables.

I hope you get it before the 21st instead of in April, that would be a major bummer. In the winter months, just go to stores, especially during the holidays. Plenty of people around and a jolly good time to shop.

I especially hope for you it's not on the truck when it snows and the delivery guy has to stop on the side of the road and live off scraps and burning packages for 4 months because of the closedown.

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
I've never heard of this closure before.... I can imagine if it exists it would cause major problems.. If it doesn't snow then things will be fine i imagine.

I remember when i ordered my free Bumper case for the iPhone 4 that they said i was going to get in august 23rd (ordered it in like july 19th) and it turned up 4 days later o_O.

Let's wait and see...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I've never heard of this closure before....

Then why did you start this thread ? :rolleyes:

You do realise I'm just playing with you and there's no such thing as ridiculous as your MBA not getting delivered because of snow. At most it'll be a little late if there's really some bad weather. Seeing how there was nothing serious about this thread to begin with...

ukpetey

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Durham, England
This is probably a stupid question but... Theres been lots of snow over the past week and things came to a standstill in the UK. Luckily for now it's gone away but. I ordered my 13" Air last night and estimated delivery is 21st of December.

I'm basically worrying if it snows again whether Apple will deliver or not? Does anyone have any experience of this?
Kris

Here in the North East of England it certainly hasn't gone away, still over a foot deep! I ordered my iPad on black Friday, and it was delivered last Monday, we had loads of snow here by then. The UPS man battled his way through the snow to get it to me safely and on time.

Ultimately there can only be two scenarios. One, it arrives before Christmas, or Two, it doesn't! Either way is out of your control. When you get your Air, you'll love it!

Happy Christmas :)

Peter

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Theres only one serious thing about this thread. Waiting to see if a person had bad experience with snow and deliveries.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Apple's system doesn't account for the 4 months delivery close downs because in the south hemisphere, winter is actually during the June-September period and some parts of the world don't have snow year round. It would mean too many variables.

I hope you get it before the 21st instead of in April, that would be a major bummer. In the winter months, just go to stores, especially during the holidays. Plenty of people around and a jolly good time to shop.

I especially hope for you it's not on the truck when it snows and the delivery guy has to stop on the side of the road and live off scraps and burning packages for 4 months because of the closedown.

Why respond with a useless response to tell the OP ... you do not like their question?

FedEx and UPS will deliver, no matter what the weather ... They may take an extra day or two because of bad weather.

Good luck ... I hope you get it in time for Christmas.

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom

It also says that's an estimate. I ordered yesterday and it says delivery 16th-20th December.

We ordered an iPad for my son on Black Friday from Apple on-line and it arrived 6 days later, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I love watching news coverage of the Brits getting tied up with snow. Almost invariably they've been "blanketed" by a thin skiff of snow that Canadians would just laugh at. Hint... if there isn't enough to make a snowman with, it's not "blanketing". :)

ps I liked the deliveries 'closed for 4 months' thing. I think you had the OP wondering for just a moment.

pps At least here, delivery services will go that extra mile to get things to you before Christmas. So, even if there is a snow storm on the 20th, 21st they will probably put in the extra hours and days to get things delivered before Santa Day.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Why respond with a useless response to tell the OP ... you do not like their question?

Why repond with a useless response to tell me... you do not like my response ? :rolleyes:

The question was useless. It's obvious to anyone with an average IQ what snow entails on delivery. Either it still gets there on-time because the company is equipped to deal with the weather or at worse, it gets there a bit late.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It sure is discouraging to see someone can buy a pricey computer and still not quite get that snow doesn't halt the delivery business completely. It could delay it, but the machine will get there. OTOH, if you're near an Apple store and you don't need CTO then why are you buying online anyway? Get out and go buy it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Theres only one serious thing about this thread. Waiting to see if a person had bad experience with snow and deliveries.

Shipping companies are well prepared for all whether conditions, if it snows, it snows, and if it's slows down the transportation of goods then there's nothing you or anyone can do about it. Asking of other's experiences here won't help either, everyone's situation is different.

Most people here are telling you positive things. All it would take is one person to write of a bad experience and then you're disappointed? WOW, just WOW. There's only one serious thing about this thread, your paranoia. :rolleyes:

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
It might be delayed, but it will get delivered. TNT, Fedex and UPS have tracking systems and if they will have to hold your parcel, they won't lose it. They aren't really the problem, the problem in southern England was roads. It didn't matter that all these companies could load their trucks, the roads were not gritted sufficiently, had slippery ice and a build up of snow, and were closed. There were cities in the south that weren't served by any transport on Wednesday and Thursday.

So yes, if it happens again and the snow affects your area, you'll just have to wait for your MBA.

Amazon UK stopped putting a "delivery estimate" on their sales last week because snow did affect delivery.

Good thing this weekend is a little warmer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.