PDA

View Full Version : Mini..WTH Wireless Bluetooth ?????

spacepower7
Jan 19, 2005, 10:37 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

From what I read/understood, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme can be added later to the Mac mini. Yet, I can't find any ordering info or part numbers on Apple's website.

My local Apple Store said that the Mac mini will be going on sale on the 22nd, first come first serve. Assuming the 2 stock models.

So are they going to sell Mac minis that have no wireless features?? and I might have to wait months for Apple to make the additional parts available: Airport Extreme and Bluetooth options available??

Anybody know the answer to this?

peace

KCK
Jan 19, 2005, 10:40 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

From what I read/understood, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme can be added later to the Mac mini. Yet, I can't find any ordering info or part numbers on Apple's website.

My local Apple Store said that the Mac mini will be going on sale on the 22nd, first come first serve. Assuming the 2 stock models.

So are they going to sell Mac minis that have no wireless features?? and I might have to wait months for Apple to make the additional parts available: Airport Extreme and Bluetooth options available??

Anybody know the answer to this?

peace

According to Apple adding Airport Extreme and Bluetooth support isn't something that a user can do themselves after the fact so Apple will not be selling part for you to add these abilities after the fact. If you want these features you have to custom order them at the time your Mini is built.

tubedogg
Jan 19, 2005, 10:43 PM
If you want these features you have to custom order them at the time your Mini is built....or you can take your already purchased mini to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (I think that's what they're called) and have it installed. You just aren't supposed to do it yourself.

The answer to the question is, yes, assuming the stores just have the two base models, they will not be directly selling any wireless-ready minis on January 22. Presumably, however, they would gladly sell you an upgrade to have bluetooth or AirPort installed on your new mini. (Might take a few days turnaround for them to get it installed, depending on how busy they are.)

spacepower7
Jan 19, 2005, 10:48 PM
From my understanding, reading on the net, that there is an add on part that the techs at the Apple Store can install at a later date. Maybe what I read was wrong...?

But it doesn't make sense for Apple to start selling Mac mini's on the 22nd, Mac mini's that can never be upgraded???

peace

EDIT

So if I buy a Mac mini on Saturday...any idea how long to get the Airport and Bluetooth..since Apple hasn't even added a part number yet? I guess I'll call my Apple Store tomorrow and see if they have a clue yet.

peace

tubedogg
Jan 19, 2005, 10:51 PM
Maybe what I read was wrong...?I doubt it...

AirPort Extreme and internal Bluetooth upgrades must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Bear
Jan 20, 2005, 09:11 AM

So if I buy a Mac mini on Saturday...any idea how long to get the Airport and Bluetooth..since Apple hasn't even added a part number yet? I guess I'll call my Apple Store tomorrow and see if they have a clue yet.

peaceThat's a good question. And your answer is that it probably has a service part number and you can't order it yourself unless you order it through Apple service (or an authorized repair place). Talk to the Apple store. Or just bite the bullet and custom order it that way if that's what you want. You'll get charged a service fee (probably) to add it after the fact.