Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi,

I've just bought my first HD TV (LG 50PK350) and I am planning to get an Apple TV (2G) for Christmas to go with it. I'm looking for recommendations for a good value sound system which will integrate with my TV, my Sky HD system and the :apple:TV.

I'm looking to spend around £200 and want the amp and 5.1 speakers included in this budget. I'm not bothered about Bluray but I could do with updating my DVD player if buying an all in one was a good way to go versus separates at this budget level.

I want 5.1 audio from both the DVD and AppleTV so I think I need optical input on the amp/DVD unit. I also have a Sky HD system which I would like to connect although I'm not sure how to get 5.1 sound from the Sky system or even if this is possible.

If my budget is not high enough then please tell me what my budget needs to be and I can reconsider. I want something which will last me a few years if possible from a decent brand with good support/firmware updates etc.

Thanks for reading,
Craig.

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
I was on the same hunt a few weeks ago, came to the conclusion that 5.1 systems are more trouble than they are worth... and to get any kind of decent one you need to spend a lot of money, and then depending on the shape of your lounge, it's hard to get the right acoustics...

Ended up going for the Sony HTFS3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HTFS3-CEK-400W-Cinema-System/dp/B002COJ558/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

It's 'only' 2.1, but the sound is incredible, with a very full heavy base. Its VERY easy to set up and everything just plugs in over HDMI, its got loads of inputs for Optical Audio etc... and works very well with my Sony TV, SkyHD, Xbox and AppleTV.

Well worth a buy :)

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I was on the same hunt a few weeks ago, came to the conclusion that 5.1 systems are more trouble than they are worth... and to get any kind of decent one you need to spend a lot of money, and then depending on the shape of your lounge, it's hard to get the right acoustics...

Ended up going for the Sony HTFS3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HTFS3-CEK-400W-Cinema-System/dp/B002COJ558/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

It's 'only' 2.1, but the sound is incredible, with a very full heavy base. Its VERY easy to set up and everything just plugs in over HDMI, its got loads of inputs for Optical Audio etc... and works very well with my Sony TV, SkyHD, Xbox and AppleTV.

Well worth a buy :)

Thanks for that - I hadn't really considered the 2.1 option but I can see where you are coming from actually now that you mention it. Hmm...

I've been continuing my search this evening and came across one possible option. It is beyond my £200 budget but I think I'm going to have to find another £100 to get anything worthwhile (including your 2.1 suggestion which is £279.99 on Amazon).

See what you think of this package from RicherSounds:

http://www.richersounds.com/information/home-cinemasystems

Look at the first option at £299.99. Seems pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.