PDA

View Full Version : Time Gadget of The Week: iPod Shuffle

MacBytes
Jan 19, 2005, 11:18 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Time Gadget of The Week: iPod Shuffle (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050120001817)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jan 19, 2005, 11:18 PM
and here I was thinking it would be the Airbus...

Chaszmyr
Jan 19, 2005, 11:49 PM
Can always count on Time to give Apple some positive press

nagromme
Jan 19, 2005, 11:58 PM
Blah blah blah... the Airbus A380 has screens... blah blah blah... the Airbus has a radio... blah blah blah... the Airbus has a microphone for voice... :rolleyes:

Can we move on, already? The iPod Shuffle IS going to be wildly successful. It meets the needs of many people.

For the umpteenth time:

* The iPod Shuffle will play audiobooks. The Airbus will not.

* The iPod Shuffle is SMALLER and LIGHTER than the Airbus.

* The iPod Shuffle holds MORE MUSIC than the Airbus.

* The iPod Shuffle is compatible with iTunes and the iTunes Music Store.

* The iPod Shuffle costs significantly LESS than the Airbus.

All these people who want an Airbus A380 (wow, catchy name :rolleyes: )... I say, go get one. The rest of us will enjoy our compact, simple iPods.

And to the Airbus CEO who badmouths the iPod--let's see how many A380s you sell this year, and how many iPods Apple sells.

Enough said.

SuperChuck
Jan 20, 2005, 12:26 AM
Hmmm...I have no idea what an airbus is. I thought the first post was referring to the new jumbo jet that is replacing 747's. It did seem to me that it would be odd to classify a giant plane as a "gadget."

I guess I'll google airbus.

On second thought, I don't really care.

Trowaman
Jan 20, 2005, 01:27 AM
Hmmm...I have no idea what an airbus is. I thought the first post was referring to the new jumbo jet that is replacing 747's. It did seem to me that it would be odd to classify a giant plane as a "gadget."

I guess I'll google airbus.

On second thought, I don't really care.

Googled for you. It is a plane. Two story plane. Looked okay, but I bet it kills the environment with fuel effenciency. Sorry, just finished going through environmental check list stuff and the 108th U.S. Senate, environent's kinda on the mind right now.

SuperChuck
Jan 20, 2005, 01:38 AM
Googled for you. It is a plane. Two story plane.

Oh. Well then what the heck is nagromme talking about up there?

applefans
Jan 20, 2005, 01:51 AM
Blah blah blah... the Airbus A380 has screens... blah blah blah... the Airbus has a radio... blah blah blah... the Airbus has a microphone for voice... :rolleyes:

Can we move on, already? The iPod Shuffle IS going to be wildly successful. It meets the needs of many people.

For the umpteenth time:

All these people who want an Airbus A380 (wow, catchy name :rolleyes: )... I say, go get one. The rest of us will enjoy our compact, simple iPods.

And to the Airbus CEO who badmouths the iPod--let's see how many A380s you sell this year, and how many iPods Apple sells.

Enough said.

But how many millions of ipod shuffle can an Airbus A380 carries?

Flowbee
Jan 20, 2005, 02:24 AM

~snip~

Made ME laugh.

Kagetenshi
Jan 20, 2005, 02:41 AM

At a guess, this (http://online.wsj.com/wsjgate?subURI=%2Farticle%2F0%2C%2CSB110608706045129379%2Demail%2C00%2Ehtml&nonsubURI=%2Farticle%5Femail%2F0%2C%2CSB110608706045129379%2DIhjgYNjlal4nJynbX6HbK6Am4%2C00%2Ehtml).

~J

edesignuk
Jan 20, 2005, 02:47 AM
Looked okay, but I bet it kills the environment with fuel effenciency. Sorry, just finished going through environmental check list stuff and the 108th U.S. Senate, environent's kinda on the mind right now.[OFF TOPIC]The Airbus A380 is a lot more efficient than the 747.

painimies
Jan 20, 2005, 02:48 AM

...Wanna bet?

Other than that, congrats for the funniest post in a while on these forums.

...Two story plane. Looked okay, but I bet it kills the environment with fuel effenciency

From what I've read, one of the main points of this plane is that it is significantly less polluting than the current Jumbos. (Relatively, of course.)

24C
Jan 20, 2005, 02:51 AM
OT Yeah they'll sell a lot of iPod shuffles, but once you break even on the A380, it'll take a lot of iPod shuffles to catch up

Come on 'nagromme', you forgot to add but, they both MOVE you. :D

edesignuk
Jan 20, 2005, 02:59 AM
OT Yeah they'll sell a lot of iPod shuffles, but once you break even on the A380, it'll take a lot of iPod shuffles to catch upYou bet, it's cost around $12bn to design, but they estimate sales of $40bn. A $28bn profit is a LOT of Shuffles!!! :eek: :p

applefans
Jan 20, 2005, 03:09 AM
You bet, it's cost around $12bn to design, but they estimate sales of $40bn. A $28bn profit is a LOT of Shuffles!!! :eek: :p

You see Airbus finally beat Boeing, when will Apple beat M$?

24C
Jan 20, 2005, 04:01 AM
You see Airbus finally beat Boeing, when will Apple beat M$?

Don't be too sure about this one, most people that travel long haul, hate short hops and changeovers. AFAIK, Boeing is developing smaller planes with a longer range to get to these smaller airports in one hit, they are targetting the customer slightly differently.

An A380 needs a longer runaway, but it's targetting the airports/airlines with restricted access/landing rights/used up their allocation etc, so that they increase their passenger capacity.

So back on topic... two different 'platforms' with two different requirements, fulfilling the same goal. One though will be a better user experience...now where have I seen this before:D

applefans
Jan 20, 2005, 04:07 AM
Don't be too sure about this one, most people that travel long haul, hate short hops and changeovers. AFAIK, Boeing is developing smaller planes with a longer range to get to these smaller airports in one hit, they are targetting the customer slightly differently.

An A380 needs a longer runaway, but it's targetting the airports/airlines with restricted access/landing rights/used up their allocation etc, so that they increase their passenger capacity.

So back on topic... two different 'platforms' with two different requirements, fulfilling the same goal. One though will be a better user experience...now where have I seen this before:D

I mean the revenue of Boeing had already been pass by AB for two years, and now they lost the crown of biggest aircraft to AB

nagromme
Jan 20, 2005, 05:04 AM
I'm starting to sway the other way now. Turns out you can order the Airbus in a variety of color schemes. I like that. It also has wheels--more iPod-like than the Shuffle, really.

If I hadn't just bought an iPod, I might at least CONSIDER an Airbus 380. But the Shuffle will still sell more units.

redAPPLE
Jan 20, 2005, 06:47 AM

For the umpteenth time:

Enough said.

*lol* :D

SuperChuck
Jan 20, 2005, 10:04 AM

That would be called humor. Whoosh, right over my head. (not unlike an airbus)

Mudbug
Jan 20, 2005, 10:58 AM
Please tell me you guys didn't think I was serious...

KREX725
Jan 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
:confused:

The biggest question is whether or not you can eat the Airbus...

:eek:

shamino
Jan 20, 2005, 11:09 AM
But how many millions of ipod shuffle can an Airbus A380 carries?
It's a networking device. Pack an Airbus A380 with DVDs and fly it across the Atlantic ocean. Divide the total amount of data by the five hour flight time to get the bandwidth.

(Hint: It's a really really big number!)

shamino
Jan 20, 2005, 11:20 AM
Overall, the article is mostly harmless, but I am bothered by his complaint that he only got 100 songs into it, when (by his own admission) most of his songs were encoded at a 160K bitrate.

Apple has made no secret of the fact that their capacity estimates are based on a 128K with 4-minute songs. With these estimates, the theoretical capacity of 512M (assuming all of the memory is used for music) is 133 songs - about 10% higher than Apple's published count.

At 160K, all the files are 25% larger. So any sane person would expect the maximum song-count to be smaller. And it is. At 160K (still assuming 4-minute songs) 512M has a capacity of about 106 songs (again, assuming all of the memory is used for music storage.)

The fact that this reporter was unable to figure this out (or worse, knew it and chose not to report it) makes him unfit to work as a journalist.

zelmo
Jan 20, 2005, 11:23 AM
Please tell me you guys didn't think I was serious...

Nope, but some thought nagromme was :p

nsb3000
Jan 20, 2005, 12:06 PM
It's a networking device. Pack an Airbus A380 with DVDs and fly it across the Atlantic ocean. Divide the total amount of data by the five hour flight time to get the bandwidth.

(Hint: It's a really really big number!)

That is some expensive bandwidth!

nagromme
Jan 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
Here is the iPod Shuffle and the Airbus 380, shown together for size comparison. Now you tell ME which one most buyers will choose.

http://www.aircraft-info.net/aircraft/jet_aircraft/airbus/A380/a380.jpg

Kagetenshi
Jan 20, 2005, 12:53 PM
"What do you get when you add Apple and IBM?"

"IBM."

"What do you get when you add an iPod Shuffle and an Airbus 380?"

"An Airbus 380."

~J