Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absynthetic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Is it possible to mod a PowerBook to use the MagSafe adapter instead of the regular adapter? I'd be willing to do it myself, but I haven't found any real consensus on whether or not it's even possible.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Not possible, Apple redesigned the way power trickles into newer Intel laptops.

GraemeBrown

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
Powerbook G4 Magsafe adapter.

The older power supply socket and connector have always been fragile and problematic for quite some years and I'm surprised, considering the amount of stuff available on the internet, that either Apple or some clever 3rd party person hasn't come up with an add-on solution similar to the Magsafe concept. Especially considering the number of Power PC iBooks and Powerbooks still in use today.

I can quite visualize a small adapter attaching to the male power supply pin that will create a magnetized flat face end and the laptop would have a small semi-permanent plug inserted in the female jack resulting in reasonably flush fitting magnetized flat face end. This protrusion from the laptop casing would be only a few mms and I believe the final result would be quite workable and not too expensive to produce.

Regards,

Graeme

Last edited:

Archon Gold

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Canada, Ontario
Wont work, not even worth it.

I'm no electrician but I'm pretty sure that the Magsafe adapter goes straight into the motherboard via a cable on some Macbooks while older powerbooks have a DC in board.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Definitely something to be looked into despite the electrical challenges presented.

Why? Because Apple no longer sell non-MagSafe chargers. Fortunately I was able to source a NOS 65W for my G4 PowerBook recently, but given they generally last a year or so if you're lucky, it's not great. I keep the little transparent pin cap on when not plugged in, in a (usually) vain attempt to prevent it crapping out on me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.