Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebillington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Can I put boot camp onto a portable/external HDD and change boot options to run the HDD on start up?
I have a very new macbook (its my first mac), so don't want to start messing around with partitions e.t.c as I am very new to macs...

I'm also wondering if there is a Linux/Ubuntu emulator available for the mac? And if there is one, would it be possible to partition an external hardrive into three segments, one for Bootcamp, one for Linux, and one for time capsule?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I'm highly doubting Boot Camp will run from an external drive. Once the boot process hands off to Windows to load, it will blue screen, same as it would do on any other PC.

EDIT: Obviously that is assuming you are using Boot Camp to run Windows, and not some other OS.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Google triple boot for Mac OS X/Windows/Linux configurations.

Windows generally won't boot from USB. Some FireWire configurations seem to work OK, but generally you are better off with Wondows on your internal.

Also google Virtualbox/VMWare Parallels if running your OS in a VM for light use would be sufficient. This will definitely run with either OS and USB or FW.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.