Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Hey guys and girls i recently bought a new iBook and connected it to an external display. Anyways as i have the external display connected i do not require the iBook's screen to be used when connected and therefore was wondering if there was any way to close the lid of the iBook without putting it to sleep. As i need more desktop space. Ive searched many sites and still have found no answers. i believe there is a way as i saw a powerbook lid closed and connected to a Cinema display. Unless only the Powerbook can do this. Thanks for your time and info.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I believe the iBook relies on the lid being open for cooling, the hot air escapes through the keyboard. I looked at twisting the screen round to make a tablet by adding a touch screen from ‘Trolltouch’.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Search for...

Or google ScreenSpanningDoctor, it will allow screen spanning and 'clamshell' mode. The screen spanning works great if you want to use the computer and watch a dvd ona connected tv. Real productive :)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
be careful though, the iBooks are designed to dissapate heat thru the keyboard. running them closed can make them overheat.

says my friend the Apple Service Engineer who's seen it happen with DISASTEROUS consequences.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
ds1 said:
oh well won't a pitty, thanks for your help though.

Yes, though the "claim shell mode" hack will work on the iBook its is not recommended since in the iBook manual it states that heat dissipates from the keyboard. Closing it would trap the not allow proper air flow for cooling and could damage the screen. :(

Is it that much of a bother. :)

deral

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
yesternight for some strange reason, my ibook didn't sleep when i closed it. the next day, I noticed that it was on (w/o the sleep light) while it was closed. I picked it up off the chair it was sitting on, and dang, the chair felt like hot fudge.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
deral said:
yesternight for some strange reason, my ibook didn't sleep when i closed it. the next day, I noticed that it was on (w/o the sleep light) while it was closed. I picked it up off the chair it was sitting on, and dang, the chair felt like hot fudge.

This is very very dangerous, think of what might have happened to the LCD screen and some of the core components.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Agreed

maya said:
Yes, though the "claim shell mode" hack will work on the iBook its is not recommended since in the iBook manual it states that heat dissipates from the keyboard. Closing it would trap the not allow proper air flow for cooling and could damage the screen. :(

Is it that much of a bother. :)

Yes i agree if the iBook can't be closed i will have to just leave it open. i don't want to have an egg cooker now do i. Thanks for your input.

mleok

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Clamshell mode

I use Screen Spanning Doctor with my iBook in Clamshell mode, but leave the screen open for ventilation.

While the iBook is on, and a USB keyboard connected, shut the screen to make the iBook go to sleep, press any key to wake the iBook, and then open the screen. The iBook will now display video through the external monitor, while the internal LCD is off, even though the notebook is open.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Well its funny, iBook has vent on back and fan vent on side... There is a fan also to get rid of heat that will turn on automatically... Also When do you feel the keyboard ever get hot? The keyboard has a metal back plate, now you would think that would block/trap alot of heat...

So I dont see where people are getting these "its going to overheat" from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.