Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acee88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hi all,

I just purchased a new MBA 11.6.

I've been noticing the touchpad to be very "loose" feeling?
Meaning when I tap the touchpad to click on something, it makes the sound that I am actually pressing on the touchpad to click.

When I inspect the touchpad, I don't noticed any loose gaps or the glass is moving anywhere from side to side or top to bottom.

Is this normal?

I have a feeling it is normal as the MBA 11 is so thin. The touchpad wasn't made to be very solid feeling like those of MBP's as they had so much more space. When I was testing at the store I didn't notice the sound as it was so loud in there.

Please let me know! As I will bring the MBA if its not normal back to the store and get them to look at it.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
The MBA touchpad is a giant button.

If you press hard enough it does press and it DOES make a noise. It is supposed to do that.

Goto to "System Preferences", "Trackpad" and enable "Tap to Click" to just have it "click" on things without having to press the touchpad too hard.

Good Luck

superego

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
I think you have to take it back to store and see if it's indeed too loose.

There's always some variance how loud the touchpad clicking noise is, and I noticed in store that MBAs are generally louder in that respect than MBPs.

acee88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I think you have to take it back to store and see if it's indeed too loose.

There's always some variance how loud the touchpad clicking noise is, and I noticed in store that MBAs are generally louder in that respect than MBPs.

I did just that. Apparently the trackpad was not screwed in probably. Due to fast manufacturing at the plant the machines forgot to screw in tightly the screw that holds up the trackpad. The Apple tech screwed it in for me and now its perfect! :)

.Max.

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
United Kindom
Same for me but with 08 button ;) Browsing these forums is making be find things wrong that i've never noticed before, O well :D It's another one on the list for when I go to se Apple :p

s2dio

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
Same for me but with 08 button ;) Browsing these forums is making be find things wrong that i've never noticed before, O well :D It's another one on the list for when I go to se Apple :p

hah, I second that :) also noticed some flaws that I probably wouldn't, if I didn't read about them in the first place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.