PDA

View Full Version : Post-Clone Fails To Become Bootable

Not A Mac Guy
Dec 6, 2010, 01:08 AM
I own a PowerMac G4, 1.25GHz. It came with no OS (donated by my local college to my high school and eventually given to me for my services in fixing this and the other 6 PowerMacs, and the 7 iMac G5s), so my IT teacher and I copied OS X 10.4.11 from one like it. That is currently my primary OS.

We read online while thinking about upgrading his and mine Apple PCs to 10.5 Leopard, about the system requirements. They all line up http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759 :

* A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
* 512 MB memory or more
* A DVD drive for installation
* 9 GB of available disk space or more

With a 1.25GHz PPC, 2Gb of RAM, and an 80Gb Seagate IDE HDD, I'm all set up, right? Wrong.

On Friday, before the end of the day, I copied OS X 10.5.7 Leopard from an iMac G5 w/ G5 iSight (late 2006 model). We plugged it into his iMac G5, runs like a charm. Plug it into the "test" G4 (exactly like mine, but only one Seagate 80Gb IDE HDD), and it took a while, but it booted.

So today, I copied it to my blank Seagate 80Gb, assuming that it would boot like the LaCie External HDD did (yes, that worked too). It finishes copying, I reboot, hold option, punch in the lock code, and LOW AND BEHOLD... No Seagate. Mac OS X 10.4.11. But no Mac OS X 10.5.7. Okay. So I boot back to Tiger and recopy. Try to open a couple programs, they work (Office 2008 Word, Dreamweaver CS3, and iTunes 9.2). No problem. Open System Preferences, choose Leopard as the initial boot device, reboot. Mac starts up, and I get the screen with the little folder that alternates between the question mark and the Finder icon. Greeeeaaaat...

Anyone got an answer? I've been skimming the web for a while now, but nothing reads quite like this problem. Someone please help. I really want this version of Leopard to work!

--Not A Mac Guy

California
Dec 18, 2010, 03:16 AM
I own a PowerMac G4, 1.25GHz. It came with no OS (donated by my local college to my high school and eventually given to me for my services in fixing this and the other 6 PowerMacs, and the 7 iMac G5s), so my IT teacher and I copied OS X 10.4.11 from one like it. That is currently my primary OS.

We read online while thinking about upgrading his and mine Apple PCs to 10.5 Leopard, about the system requirements. They all line up http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759 :

* A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
* 512 MB memory or more
* A DVD drive for installation
* 9 GB of available disk space or more

With a 1.25GHz PPC, 2Gb of RAM, and an 80Gb Seagate IDE HDD, I'm all set up, right? Wrong.

On Friday, before the end of the day, I copied OS X 10.5.7 Leopard from an iMac G5 w/ G5 iSight (late 2006 model). We plugged it into his iMac G5, runs like a charm. Plug it into the "test" G4 (exactly like mine, but only one Seagate 80Gb IDE HDD), and it took a while, but it booted.

So today, I copied it to my blank Seagate 80Gb, assuming that it would boot like the LaCie External HDD did (yes, that worked too). It finishes copying, I reboot, hold option, punch in the lock code, and LOW AND BEHOLD... No Seagate. Mac OS X 10.4.11. But no Mac OS X 10.5.7. Okay. So I boot back to Tiger and recopy. Try to open a couple programs, they work (Office 2008 Word, Dreamweaver CS3, and iTunes 9.2). No problem. Open System Preferences, choose Leopard as the initial boot device, reboot. Mac starts up, and I get the screen with the little folder that alternates between the question mark and the Finder icon. Greeeeaaaat...

Anyone got an answer? I've been skimming the web for a while now, but nothing reads quite like this problem. Someone please help. I really want this version of Leopard to work!

--Not A Mac Guy

Buy a retail copy of Leopard. You are attempting too much cloning. Get the real disc. This is just IMHO. Or boot it in target disc mode, make sure the old 80gb hard drive is good (I'd be suspicious, it sounds ancient) and run disc utility off another computer. You need firewire of course.

MacHamster68
Dec 18, 2010, 09:29 AM
+ 1 a clone of a clone of a clone never works
buy like everybody else a retail version of OSX leopard , you will need one anyway if you need to repair permissions once in a while