Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B. McKechnie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Toronto, Ontatio, Canada
I am using the Wireless Home Networking modem offered by Bell Sympatico (it is a Siemens SpeedStream 6300 for non Bell users). This modem has five ethernet ports on the back (one of which can be selected as WAN or LAN), a USB port and a game console serial port. The modem is also a wireless router.

Before I start with my question the first thing to know is that I am NOT using the wireless features yet. I am using the WIRED ethernet ports on the back.

I have a PC and a Mac (AIO G3) - both are able to connect to the Internet through the modem no problem - but they are not able to see each other on the network. I have networked PC's and Mac's before and it is usually very simple and this is making me crazy.

Is it a modem issue (the user guide says "SHARE FILES THROUGH A HOME NETWORK")? Is it because it does not support Mac (even though I am able to connect to the Internet Bell tells me it can't)? Do I require an extra router connected to the modem (which is also a router) in order to share files?

Any experience getting this modem to work this way would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Info:
Mac AIO G3 w/ OS X 10.2.8
PC w/ Windows XP Home SP1

Thanks in advance.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
if you can get the ip addresses (windows do start run, type cmd click ok then type ipconfig & press enter/mac go system preferences > network) and ping each other they're seeing each other over the network.

getting them to talk is another thing sometimes!

check the pings, either way, get back to us here!

B. McKechnie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Toronto, Ontatio, Canada
After about an hour of fiddling with the XP firewall settings last night I realized what I did wrong.

The Mac was connecting to the Internet through PPPoE using the Bell Sympatico username and password. All this was doing was connecting one computer to the Internet at a time (without my knowledge because I was running back and forth from room to room) and not actually networking them.

Once I turned off "CONNECT USING PPPoE" the PC showed up in my iTunes list on the Mac (a sure way to see if the network is working) and vice versa.

Connecting to a shared drive on the PC from the Mac was another challenge. The Mac kept finding the modem as the network (default name "mynetwork"). After trying to login to smb://mynetwork/PCNAME/SHAREDNAME numerous times I finally dropped the "mynetwork" part and it worked.

Greencolander

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2005
Canada
Hi:

I noticed you wrote that you are NOT yet using the wireless capabilities: do you (or any other Mac Forums readers) know how to connect wirelessly to this modem? I have an iMac G4 that I connect via ethernet to a Speedstream 6300 modem, but would like to connect my iBook with airport card to it wirelessly. So far, no luck. And Sympatico (after joining forces with MSN) no longer offers Mac tech support.

Thanks!

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
Greencolander said:
Hi:

I noticed you wrote that you are NOT yet using the wireless capabilities: do you (or any other Mac Forums readers) know how to connect wirelessly to this modem? I have an iMac G4 that I connect via ethernet to a Speedstream 6300 modem, but would like to connect my iBook with airport card to it wirelessly. So far, no luck. And Sympatico (after joining forces with MSN) no longer offers Mac tech support.

Thanks!

It's not to hard to configure but you need to have a pc to configure the router. There is a bug in the firmware that doesn't allow the settings to be saved at the end of the wizard. I haven't tried if Firefox for mac works.

1. type this http://192.168.2.1 in your browser and click on the 2nd paragraph on the left after entering your username / password

2. Put the dot to yes when ask to activate the wireless connection

3. Chooose an SSID

4. Write down the 128 bits network key (it's in hexadecimal)

5. Save configuration

6. Wait 45 seconds.

After configuration. 802.11 light should be on on the router.

Now in believe if you go to system preferences choose as connect using " Wireless adapter". Choose Wep Encryption at 128 bit level and type in key.

Et voila

*** EDIT ***

I tried with Firefox and it doesn't save either. You really need a windows based machine in order to save the settings in the router. It's maybe a good time to try out Virtual Pc in order to complete the rest of the installation.

let me know if it works for you

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.