Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznatari

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2002
NJ
Hi, I am one who owns an iMac and i want to know what Jaguar offers with the update and whether it is worth if to fork out the $129 for it. It is a little pricy but lemme know what you think.

atari

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
In a word, "yes".:D

That $130 buys you quite a bit:
  • Improved performance (equivalent to a RAM/CPU upgrade)
  • Improved stability
  • Access to Apple's latest applications, such as iCal, iSync
  • and much, much more...

That's just a quick rundown. You really should check out http://www.apple.com/macosx to see the whole list.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Absolutely.

When Apple started hyping Jaguar I was like "the changes dont seem that major, why are they pushing so hard?". But now that I have Jaguar i feel like i cant live without it.

(History of X OSs:
X.0 should have never been released.. it was just pushed out to beat WinXP
X.1 Should have been OSX.0
X.2 Should have been OS11 but that wouldnt market as well)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well I never bought Mac OS X (the first one) But I did buy Mac OS X.1, I don't know about Mac OS X.0 (I guess thats what you would call it) Was there a big difference? I read articles in Macworld and such and saw screenshots, the screenshots did look different from Mac OS X.1 Thats just my thought... (little off topic but if you read the post before this you will catch my drift) ;) :D :rolleyes:

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I think what Chaszmyr said was right on, X.0 was basically a slow buggy beta rushed out because of XP. X.1 was released soon after to correct those buggs and speed somewhat.
BTW, this is just from what I've read, you're taking advice from somone who's used it about twice, so I wouldn't take myself too seriously.:D

-V

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If Jaguar was the initial release of Mac OS X, I think that there would be no hesitation whatsoever from Macintosh users and little from Windows and Linux users.

That doesn't mean that there's much more good stuff to come. The performance could still be better, the operation smoother. I know Apple--they'll do it right. :)

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
Think how lucky you are up there in the States
I think it is $240 here in New Zealand. I get it a little cheaper as I work the disributor here (I am moving on to a reseller to get sales experiance then I might move back and join the sales team)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Limeibook 86-

In terms of interface and such X.0 was almost the same about X.1... The problem with X.0 is it SUCKED. there was almost no software for it, and later software required X.1 which had full carbon and cocoa support. So pretty much with X.0 it looked pretty, but if you wanted to run an app you had to open classic :(

aznatari

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2002
NJ
I guess its a great upgrade to my Mac OS. Otherwise, I am now going to the Apple Store to buy it. Bye.

atari

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by appleguy
I think it is $240 here in New Zealand. I get it a little cheaper as I work the disributor here (I am moving on to a reseller to get sales experiance then I might move back and join the sales team)

Good luck with your job change. I hope it works out well.

Prices are pretty much a matter of how much you make anyway, right? When I had a much better job, $129 wasn't difficult for me. Right now, it's a lot. Of course, in the states, we don't have VAT, GST or other luxury type taxes that other English-speaking countries have.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by appleguy

I'm in NZ to, everything seems so much more expensive.

Where do you work?

richierich

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
london
I'm in NZ to, everything seems so much more expensive.

yeah right

The Imac in NZ is still £100 cheaper than in the UK.

I was checking it all out as I was thinking about going over (girlfriend a kiwi) to live for a bit.

The great Apple stitch up...........

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Limeibook 86-

In terms of interface and such X.0 was almost the same about X.1... The problem with X.0 is it SUCKED. there was almost no software for it, and later software required X.1 which had full carbon and cocoa support. So pretty much with X.0 it looked pretty, but if you wanted to run an app you had to open classic :(

X got the OS out of the door and companies thought, this is a real OS we are actually going to have to design some software for it.

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
Couple of Things
For those that asked I currently work for Renaissance
I will be starting at CampusIT (at Auckland Uni) End of Sept

For the UK dude. don't forget £100 = about $NZ330

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.