Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
so a customer gave me a logo in .jpg format. I want to retrace it so I can use it in the future and re-size without worrying. I traced it in Vector Magic (sweet program) but it still is not perfect....I have opened the made .eps up in Illustrator and it still has some iffy edges...these angles are supposed to be perfect...I have attached an image for you to see......can anyone think of how I can make them perfect? thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 134

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
To get the precision required you'll need to use Illustrator to either tidy up the traced version you now have or preferably re-draw from scratch.

In my experience trace software is OK for quickly vectorising photos etc but it really isn't very good at re creating logos/text etc. Only way to go is using Illustrator in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
This one is actually my logo that I am practicing on because I am getting the same results..

I am not very good at retracing by hand in Illustrator that is why I tried Vector Magic but maybe I'll need to learn more

Attachments

• DJ Sound logotest.jpg
    DJ Sound logotest.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 128

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
It shouldn't take you too long to get the hang of, and your logo is a good one to practice on as it's very geometric. Most of the basic letter shapes are squares with rounded corners with a stroke applied, so try starting there. Then adjust your squares to the correct dimensions then cut your lines and adjust/move points to create the final letters. Then outline your paths and trim the ends to give the diagonals.

Sorry that's a bit basic I know, but give it a go and see how you get on. More than happy to advise further if needed.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Thanks a lot man! I had no idea where to start..I'll try that today and see how it goes

edit - ok I tried it but didn't get very far . I think I understand what you are talking about. I made the squares and the radial corners with the stroke...but how do you cut the lines? also you say to outline the paths...I couldn't get that =/

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Great start.

Right you need to get rid of the fill on the boxes so you just have the outline.

Next using the scissor tool from the tool palette, or hit C on keyboard and cut the line to remove the corner you don't need.

Then using the direct selection tool, the white arrow on tool palette or A on keyboard, move the points at the ends of the line to the desired positions.

Then once you are happy with the letter go to: Object>Path>Outline Path. This will will turn your line into a filled shape. You can then adjust the ends of the line to give the diagonals. However I would suggest leaving that stage until you have all the letters done and are happy with them, just in case you want to edit them.

Hope that all makes sense. I've attached a basic screen shot as a rough guide.

Shout if you need more help.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 09.30.21.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 09.30.21.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 87

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Sorry this screenshot will probably make a bit more sense than the last.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 15.29.00.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 15.29.00.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 91

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Dave your the best! Thanks for taking the time to explain that. It is much appreciated :D

I can still make the diagonals first and then extend the lines also...kind of backwards. As long as I select both anchor points at the diagonal end and then extend them. I don't know if that makes sense. Your way works best though. I will post the finished product when I am done.

Last edited:

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
No problemo dude, always happy to help those who want to increase their knowledge and skills.

Keep me posted on progress:)

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
So this is where I got to....I am stumped on the "S" of "Sound" once I separate a letter into pieces I am not sure how to "glue" it back together..I cant get the separate pieces to line up perfectly...

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 85

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Nicely done.

OK for the S follow these steps, screenshot attached as well.

1. create one of your basic boxes and cut off and delete the right hand side.
2. adjust the ends of the lines to the right length. At this stage make the bottom shorter than needed.
3. now select your line and double click on the rotate tool on the tool palette. In the window that comes up put 180 into the angle box and click copy. Move the copied line down so it lines up with the bottom of the 'O'.
4. now cut of and delete the right hand side of the lower line.
5. move the small piece of line down so that it is as close to lining up with the bottom of the top line as possible. Using the Direct Selection Tool, select the two points of the little piece and the lower end and corner points of the top line. Now hit alt/command/j on the keyboard and in the window that pops up select horizontal and click OK.
6. now select the two points either side of the gap and hit command/j and this will join the two bits together.
7. now you can either use the pen tool to draw a curve joining the final two bits together or draw a circle the right size, cut of the left hand side and join that to the other two lines.

Wow sorry if that's not too clear. If you get stuck let me know but it's not as complicated as I've probably made it sound!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 19.36.00.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 19.36.00.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 89

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
geez...I never would have thought of that! haha...genius...

It took me a bit of fooling around but I got it. I couldn't follow exactly you you explained but I ended up using all the techniques you describes...just in other orders hehe....

thanks again man I learned a lot today =)

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/8B117)

No problem at all and your final version looks perfect.

Sorry if my instructions were a bit off. It was really weird trying to explain in words something that I do pretty much without thinking if you know what I mean. But great that you took the basis of what I said and found your own way. Respect due man.

Cheers
Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.