PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Macbook Air + 27" ACD, a few questions for fellow members

apparatchik
Dec 6, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I just went on and bought both a maxed-out 13" air and a 27" ACD to drive it while at home, this will be my primary machine (heaviest tasks I'll be performing: casual video creation, eventually some 3D rendering) every day tasks more like image edition, web coding, internet surfing, etc...

I have a few questions though:

1. SSD: I understand the ssd coming in these machines does pretty good garbage collection (I saw a review on anandtech which highlighted this feature), I have read, however, that garbage collection on ssd drives require free space to perform accurately, since I need to have both OS X and W7, and work projects and personal files as well, I'll be trying to minimize used space whenever possible.

The drive is spec'd at 256 GiB, Im expecting actual size to be around 240 GB, and from those to keep always at least 40 GB free (I'll try to keep everything within 200 GB), do you think it is a good mark?

Second question is related to OS X reinstallation, I've heard you can take a few GB off the SL default install by removing unneeded languages, printer drivers and the like, the question I have is if reinstalling implies wiping/reformatting the drive and if said operation has an adverse effect on the ssd...

2. UPS: Where I live, power spikes and black outs are not uncommon, having spent a few bucks on this equipment, Im also planning to put a UPS unit at work, I'll be charging the air from the ACD, which will be the only device to be connected to the UPS (at least in battery protected outputs), at apple's specs, the 27 ACD is said to have a maximum power requirement of 250 W while charging a MBP, if I have say an external hard drive and external dvd burner/reader both powered by and connected to the usb ports of the ACD, plus a charging air, how much output you recommend me to watch for when piccking a UPS? or more in general, which UPS models would you recommend for this range of use, having a budget of about $120 USD?

One last question, do the magsafe adapters of macbook's (air or pro) provide any protection against power surges/spikes? how safe is to connect a MB when on the go?

This will be my first mac, thanks for any advice given!

psirix
Dec 6, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I just went on and bought both a maxed-out 13" air and a 27" ACD to drive it while at home, this will be my primary machine (heaviest tasks I'll be performing: casual video creation, eventually some 3D rendering) every day tasks more like image edition, web coding, internet surfing, etc...

I have a few questions though:

1. SSD: I understand the ssd coming in these machines does pretty good garbage collection (I saw a review on anandtech which highlighted this feature), I have read, however, that garbage collection on ssd drives require free space to perform accurately, since I need to have both OS X and W7, and work projects and personal files as well, I'll be trying to minimize used space whenever possible.

The drive is spec'd at 256 GiB, Im expecting actual size to be around 240 GB, and from those to keep always at least 40 GB free (I'll try to keep everything within 200 GB), do you think it is a good mark?

Second question is related to OS X reinstallation, I've heard you can take a few GB off the SL default install by removing unneeded languages, printer drivers and the like, the question I have is if reinstalling implies wiping/reformatting the drive and if said operation has an adverse effect on the ssd...

2. UPS: Where I live, power spikes and black outs are not uncommon, having spent a few bucks on this equipment, Im also planning to put a UPS unit at work, I'll be charging the air from the ACD, which will be the only device to be connected to the UPS (at least in battery protected outputs), at apple's specs, the 27 ACD is said to have a maximum power requirement of 250 W while charging a MBP, if I have say an external hard drive and external dvd burner/reader both powered by and connected to the usb ports of the ACD, plus a charging air, how much output you recommend me to watch for when piccking a UPS? or more in general, which UPS models would you recommend for this range of use, having a budget of about $120 USD?

One last question, do the magsafe adapters of macbook's (air or pro) provide any protection against power surges/spikes? how safe is to connect a MB when on the go?

This will be my first mac, thanks for any advice given!

1. I'm not familiar with the SSD garbage collection. From my reading in the past this was an issue on older drives but not SSDs today. However, don't quote me on that. In terms of reloading the OS, yes you can save some space by removing the additional languages in such. Yes, this will require you to format the drive but will not have any impact on life or performance.

2. Any inexpensive UPS should be fine. I use a $120 UPS from APC to power my Core i7 desktop, I think it is about 350w. I get about 6min during an outage, which is plenty of time to shut down the machine. With a MBA I can only suspect you will have even more time. Therefore, don't drop a ton of cash on a UPS, but get a nice brand.

3. To my knowledge the charger is no different than any other charger; act as if it was any other device. I've never had a problem plugging in a charger and messing up my machine though.

Congratulations on the new purchase!!!