PDA

View Full Version : Home electronics giants launch antipiracy strategy

MacBytes
Jan 20, 2005, 10:56 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Home electronics giants launch antipiracy strategy (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050120115610)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

SuperChuck
Jan 20, 2005, 11:54 AM
The market is driven by devices, not DRM technology. Nobody buys a music player because they love its digital rights management system. Maybe these guys should put their heads together and come up with a really great product.

Oh, I forgot, they're not capable of doing that.

nsb3000
Jan 20, 2005, 08:14 PM
The market is driven by devices, not DRM technology. Nobody buys a music player because they love its digital rights management system. Maybe these guys should put their heads together and come up with a really great product.

Oh, I forgot, they're not capable of doing that.

You are right, most consumers are not thinking about this today, as most consumers music collections are still in CDs which can be ripped into either format with relative ease. But this misses the point. What happens in the future, once consumer have invested some real money into digital downloads? Consumer are going to be confused and frustrated by competing and mutually incompatible DRM formats. I am personally really not sure how Apple thinks they win in the long run with their current closed model, but I hope they have something up their sleeves. In the long run, once the digital download market matures, consumers are going to demand choice and flexibility, and at that point, I don't think I would want to be in Apple's shoes.

Timelessblur
Jan 20, 2005, 08:39 PM
Apple needs to get more involved in DRM. Currenlty by being so closed about it they are asking for a law suite in the future. Reason being is Apple will practily have a monoply on digitle music players and online stores controling well over 70-80% of the market. at that size you can pretty much use you size to make people buy you products. Before some say there is compition I can just as easily say M$ has compition in the OS market and should not be treated as a monloploy (which is legelly is and runs a such) and the counter argumetn would be oh M$ has compition form apple and Linus but when you ahve 80+% market share you can do waht you want. and that would force apple to open them selves for other complainy deviose to work with iTunes and have there music work on other players.

If apple fails at getting it formate set as the industy standard and M$ formate become it. Apple will have no one to blame but them selves because when they had the power do to they did not. They choice to be close minded and refused to open it up

dejo
Jan 20, 2005, 08:51 PM
In the long run, once the digital download market matures, consumers are going to demand choice and flexibility, and at that point, I don't think I would want to be in Apple's shoes.

I think that all Apple's 'shoes' would need to do is support other DRMs. Not a very big step even, IMO.

dejo
Jan 20, 2005, 08:52 PM
If apple fails at getting it formate set as the industy standard and M$ formate become it.

Sounds like this group doesn't want MS DRM as the standard either. They want to create, and control, a new one.

brap
Jan 20, 2005, 08:55 PM
But if the Marlin technology is built consistently into the products of four of the biggest consumer electronics devices, it could shift the market substantially, analysts say.If I'm forced into buying crippled, useless pseudo-data CDs to put in my new DRM-enhanced CD player, I'm going to get much satisfaction from never, every buying a CD again.