PDA

View Full Version : Help 1 G5 processor apparently disconnected!!!

junker
Dec 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
This is an unfortunate development! It appears that one of my processors has died on me! Is this, in fact possible - and still be running?

I have included a screen shot, using Temperature Monitor to show the processors and ambient temps.

What other way could I determine if it truly dead?

And lastly, can a replacement be had? (I'm fairly adept at computer repair) If so, where?

thanks so much for any help!! I really can't afford another mac right now - Help me keep this one alive a bit longer!!

Nameci
Dec 6, 2010, 11:55 PM
run activity monitor and see if their is cpu activity...

666sheep
Dec 7, 2010, 04:20 AM
It's something with sensors. S.M.A.R.T. sensor (HDD) says "disconnected" too.
Open System Profiler and under "Hardware" you'll find info about CPUs.

junker
Dec 7, 2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. It does appear that it is not in use/dead. Looks like I'm running on only one processor - whoa, I didnt know this was a possibility!!!

What can I (personally) do about it? I want to know if I can fix it cheaply, myself.

If there's no possible way to fix it, can I set up the computer to limp along and not freeze/crash?

junker
Dec 7, 2010, 06:48 AM
It's something with sensors. S.M.A.R.T. sensor (HDD) says "disconnected" too.
Open System Profiler and under "Hardware" you'll find info about CPUs.

Yeah I thought this was odd as well... I thought it was maybe a disconnected sensor cable - but I think that these sensors and internal....so why would the HHD indicate this....

It does show only one processor in system profile (so I guess it's not a problem with the application Temp Monitor somehow reading wrongly) I thought that this was a Dual Processor G5 - not the dual core but an actual 2 processor machine. I seem to remember looking up the manufacture date of Oct 2005. But based on some research this morning, this may be an early 2005 G5. (it's the one with 1 ethernet port and on 3 USB - 2 on the back side, 1 on the front)

666sheep
Dec 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html - paste computer's serial number there for info about your G5 model.

What you can do:
- reset PMU and PRAM
- reseat CPU (required 9" hex key, 2,5 mm diameter)
- run Apple Hardware Test from original install disc or Apple Service Diagnostics (if you have it)

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 7, 2010, 07:20 PM
If it's causing problems, you can always remove the lower CPU from the system. It will just run as a single processor without any problems. You can find a replacement CPU pretty cheaply on ebay. Just make sure it has the same model #, otherwise it may not work.

You will need to run a thermal calibration on the system once you transplant a new CPU into it. Depending on what G5 you have, you will need the apple service diagnostic disc 2.5.8 for early '05 and earlier and 2.6.3 for the late 05's.

junker
Dec 7, 2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html - paste computer's serial number there for info about your G5 model.

What you can do:
- reset PMU and PRAM
- reseat CPU (required 9" hex key, 2,5 mm diameter)
- run Apple Hardware Test from original install disc or Apple Service Diagnostics (if you have it)

Thanks! Yeah, those are my next steps (I think I have the original install disk somewhere)

I need to get that longer screwdriver/hex driver.

junker
Dec 7, 2010, 07:37 PM
If it's causing problems, you can always remove the lower CPU from the system. It will just run as a single processor without any problems. You can find a replacement CPU pretty cheaply on ebay. Just make sure it has the same model #, otherwise it may not work.

You will need to run a thermal calibration on the system once you transplant a new CPU into it. Depending on what G5 you have, you will need the apple service diagnostic disc 2.5.8 for early '05 and earlier and 2.6.3 for the late 05's.

I wondered about this solution as well...it sort of runs now. Seems to run close to and occasionally above (!!!!) the specified upper limit in Temp Monitor (~168,8 degrees F) with more frequent fan spin-up. I actually had a super full speed fan spin up after I had initiated sleep mode. This event never self corrected, so I forced a shutdown before I left this morning instead.

If I remove it, would it somehow reconfigure itself to not run so close to upper limits/ie:hotter?

Thanks

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 7, 2010, 07:47 PM
Let us know what G5 you have. If it's a 2.5ghz+ model then it's liquid-cooled. A leak or dust-clogged heatsink/fans could also be the culprit for the higher temps. This is probably a cause of your dead CPU. Try blowing the G5 out with compressed air. It's best if you have an air compressor as the cans of compressed are can get quite expensive.

junker
Dec 7, 2010, 08:23 PM
The other day, I took it out to my shed/studio and blew it out with around 100 lbs of compressed air. And, I habitually do this every 4-6 months.

It's a 2.3 ghz, G5.

I also haven't yet followed previous advice and inserted my SN into that recommended website (lately) I ran across that site and inserted it once before, hence my thinking that this was built in Oct 05.

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 7, 2010, 10:02 PM
OK there were 2 versions of the 2.3ghz. One had two single 2.3ghz CPUs(what you have) and then there was a dual-core version with 2 cores on one CPU.

Good thing that you can find them cheap on ebay. Just be sure to match up the model #'s. Just be sure to find the single 2.3ghz CPU with the green PCB board. The dual-core version will have a blue PCB and have a heatsink come off the side.

InuNacho
Dec 7, 2010, 10:30 PM
Sell it on ebay as an ULTRA RARE DUAL G5 WITH ONLY 1 PROCESSOR.

Hrududu
Dec 7, 2010, 11:54 PM
Sell it on ebay as an ULTRA RARE DUAL G5 WITH ONLY 1 PROCESSOR.
But there were lots of Powermac G5's with only one processor. I owned one for a short time. :rolleyes:

InuNacho
Dec 8, 2010, 01:31 AM
Ahh but this is an "Apple mistake" and is therefore worth thousands!

junker
Dec 11, 2010, 09:28 AM
Update: I'm think I'm moving onto an intel 27" iMac (eventual purchase) instead of throwing more money towards this old PPC G5 with a new processor.

So, I guess I'll change the nature of this thread somewhat (Mods, please let me know if I should start and entirely new thread), I want to take that G5 HDD out (1 TB HDD) and transfer all user data to 2.3 ghz macbook I have access to.

I have three questions:

1. Can I update the macbook computer to a 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD or is this asking for overheating trouble down the road?

2. Will I run into any issues using Intel Snow Leopard (macbook) to communicate with PPC Leopard (G5) while I transfer user data?

3. Instead of just transferring user data, could I use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to apply a clone image of the G5 disk?

(I'm actually considering loading new install of Leopard, on the new 1TB HDD, in a new partiton (non-GUID) and applying latest Time Machine backup)

I realize that I'll lose functionality of some programs, and I know that some of them are universal. I just don't know if, when I installed them, they were installed in one structure or another and that they won't work in the new (GUID) structure of Snow Leopard....

Thanks for any help and sorry Mods for the drawn out, tangential conversation