Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Ok, we all know that Apple likes to stay on a somewhat regular update cycle with their products. Does Canon do the same thing with their DSLRs? It looks like the release dates are the following for the Rebel line:

Rebel XSi (450D): January 2008
Rebel T1i (500D): March 2009
Rebel T2i (550D): February 2010

Is it to be expected that they will be releasing an updated Rebel early next year? I'm starting to really like photography and would really like to upgrade from my Rebel XT that I started out with to prove to the wife (and myself) that I would actually stick with it before spending a bunch of money on it. I was just browsing Canon's Refurbished site and they have the T2i with the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses for $709.98 which is really tempting, as I already plan on getting the 55-250 even if i stick with the Rebel XT.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
would really like to upgrade from my Rebel XT that I started out with to prove to the wife (and myself) that I would actually stick with it before spending a bunch of money on it.

So your first step to proving to your wife (and yourself) that you can stick with photography before spending a bunch of money on it, is to spend a bunch of money on it?
What would the T2i be able to do that your XS can't?

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
So your first step to proving to your wife (and yourself) that you can stick with photography before spending a bunch of money on it, is to spend a bunch of money on it?
What would the T2i be able to do that your XS can't?

Actually it's the XT (350D), 3 generations prior to the XS (1000D). I bought it for just $250 for a whole kit to get started. That was about 6 months ago, so now that I am really getting into it, I feel it's justified to spend a little more money to move into current tech. The main thing that I would like from a newer body is higher ISO quality and all around image quality. My XT tops out at 1600. The video would be a bonus as well, although at the moment it's not a necessary feature for me.

And maybe I really don't need to upgrade the body. My lens collection is pretty small at the moment, but I plan on adding to that in the near future. The kit I mentioned with the T2i would go towards that goal. Also, if I did upgrade, I would sell the equipment I already have, and could probably get more than I gave for it.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
... The main thing that I would like from a newer body is higher ISO quality and all around image quality. My XT tops out at 1600. The video would be a bonus as well, although at the moment it's not a necessary feature for me.

And maybe I really don't need to upgrade the body. My lens collection is pretty small at the moment, but I plan on adding to that in the near future.
I would invest in new lenses and perhaps a proper external flash. I would recommend Tamron's 17-50 mm f/2.8, a 30 mm/50 mm prime and Canon's 430 EX. These pieces of equipment will outlive any body you may want to buy. The primes are bright enough to mitigate the better high-ISO behavior of newer bodies and you'll have much, much more creative freedom. The Tamron (the non-VC version!) is optically about as good as Canon's 17-55 mm f/2.8 -- which is a lot more expensive.

Lenses also retain value very well so you don't lose a lot of money if you decide to sell them at one point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.