Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marconey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

Don't know if it's the right place to post. It's my first post. This is regarding an Apple Consulting business + the real value of joining Apple Consulting Network.

I have been mulling over staring my own Macintosh consulting business geared toward the small businesses, professionals and lastly the home user (the last one ofcourse I don't think is really profitable (even marginally) if at all from a business point of view. I have over ten years working with Macs, freelancing, as an employee, at schools etc.

Anyway, being a big Amazon fan, I naturally started exploring books on technology consulting, IT Consulting (and finally computer consulting). I am quite flabbergasted that there are hardly any books devoted to the subject! I mean these days you can find a book on practically any topic but I can't find a decent book directly dealing with the topic of technology consulting startup? What's going on? Is it really that bad? Isn't there any demand? has it become a vocation that is so dry that no author is willing to spend time writing a book about?! It is really making me suspicious. What am I missing. Can someone enlighten me?

Secondly, I have also been considering joining ACN. I tried to do some research on Google about the value of joining ACN. That didn't turn up that many results either! I did find one by a former ACN member / business owner that was quite critical. Having briefly come in contact with ACN and having almost joined it a few years ago, I somewhat agree with the author - it being a neglected dept. at Apple, being at the bottom of Apple's focus, their member site being so old that it looks like it runs on an ol' copy of FileMaker Pro etc., there's no number to call them! etc

Is there anyone here who can give an opinion on the practical worth of joining ACN? Are you a current / former member of ACN? I mean in all practicality, I don't expect to get even 10 calls a month from joining ACN but is it really worth it, considering the other benefits and may be get some business?

Any help would be great!

Kenneth

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Anyway, being a big Amazon fan, I naturally started exploring books on technology consulting, IT Consulting (and finally computer consulting). I am quite flabbergasted that there are hardly any books devoted to the subject! I mean these days you can find a book on practically any topic but I can't find a decent book directly dealing with the topic of technology consulting startup? What's going on? Is it really that bad? Isn't there any demand? has it become a vocation that is so dry that no author is willing to spend time writing a book about?! It is really making me suspicious. What am I missing. Can someone enlighten me?

Find a book on starting a Plumbing company. Then you will have your answer. Seriously, a IT company is no different than a plumbing company, there's plenty of books written about starting your own business, use those, they will apply to what you want to do.

The service/product doesn't matter in a business startup, it all comes down the same principles of starting and managing the business side. The service/product is the easy part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.