Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Well, also read the highlight about Windows :eek:
Almost felt sorry for the users who did this XP enhancement.

Nice way to bring the story as a horror sequel though

Made me feel very good about OS X's updates.
(never caused me problems anyways...)

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
MongoTheGeek said:
I have heard that SP2 breaks lots of things.
Sure does. My XP-using friend installed SP2 a few weeks ago, and it killed all his P2P software, like Limewire and Shareaza (sp?). I know you're all thinking, "Yea, the pirater deserves it," ;) but what right does M$ have messing with the programs people use, when the main purpose of the service packs is to increase system stability?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Littleodie914 said:
Sure does. My XP-using friend installed SP2 a few weeks ago, and it killed all his P2P software, like Limewire and Shareaza (sp?). I know you're all thinking, "Yea, the pirater deserves it," ;) but what right does M$ have messing with the programs people use, when the main purpose of the service packs is to increase system stability?
Um, it's called securing the system. Most people have so much CRAP running on their machines that the best way to block all of the crap was to totally lock down the system and THEN have the user open ports as needed. Even MSN Messenger is not immune to the effects of Windows XP SP-2... I had to authorize it to run on my SP-2 system. Once an SP-2 user authorizes program "X" to use port "Y", the program will work fine from then on.

Or do you actually like spyware, adware, and Trojans?

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
New discovery... I was looking at that article, and Microsoft has a page here that lists all of the programs that SP2 has affected. While the majority are programs most of us have either never heard of or don't use, Photoshop CS, ZoneAlarm, and even Microsoft's own Virtual PC have problems! VPC just results in very slow performance, but PS and ZoneAlarm don't even start! :eek:

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
clayjohanson said:
Um, it's called securing the system. Most people have so much CRAP running on their machines that the best way to block all of the crap was to totally lock down the system and THEN have the user open ports as needed. Even MSN Messenger is not immune to the effects of Windows XP SP-2... I had to authorize it to run on my SP-2 system. Once an SP-2 user authorizes program "X" to use port "Y", the program will work fine from then on.

Or do you actually like spyware, adware, and Trojans?
You may call it what you want, but killing apps that people use all the time (read my previous post) is certainly not the way to get the job done. And it isn't just blocking programs, it's breaking them. I certainly wouldn't want a computer company to issue an update that requires me to unblock every program I want to use, and then cripple others...

And no, I don't like those things. That's why I use a Mac :) :rolleyes:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Littleodie914 said:
You may call it what you want, but killing apps that people use all the time (read my previous post) is certainly not the way to get the job done. And it isn't just blocking programs, it's breaking them. I certainly wouldn't want a computer company to issue an update that requires me to unblock every program I want to use, and then cripple others...

And no, I don't like those things. That's why I use a Mac :) :rolleyes:
I guess my point was that the cost of increasing security and stability is that programs that violate said security may be broken. This is the price you pay for increasing security... things that have not been playing by the rules are affected.

As an example, if you know that a friend of yours leaves their front door key under the mat, and you always use it, and THEN he removes the key because he's worried about someone breaking in (or because someone actually does break in), what do you do? Do you complain at your friend and get him to put the key back, exposing himself to risk? Or do you ask your friend for a copy of the key to put on your key ring? This is essentially what Windows XP SP-2 has done... removed the key from under the mat. Anyone who wants in is now going to have to ask for a key.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Littleodie914 said:
New discovery... I was looking at that article, and Microsoft has a page here that lists all of the programs that SP2 has affected. While the majority are programs most of us have either never heard of or don't use, Photoshop CS, ZoneAlarm, and even Microsoft's own Virtual PC have problems! VPC just results in very slow performance, but PS and ZoneAlarm don't even start! :eek:

:eek: here too.

Didn't they promise faster performance with VPC?

Until Apple starts mucking things up, it just reinforces my resolve to the Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.