PDA

View Full Version : Looking for software that logs incoming/outgoing traffic

Cined
Dec 7, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hello,

I'm looking for a software package that will log all incoming and outgoing traffic on my network.

I aim to have a monitor setup with a realtime log of this traffic in order to monitor it constantly.

Is there any software that's capable of this out there that's friendly with a mac?

Thanks.

(Am using an Airport Extreme as a router).

balamw
Dec 7, 2010, 10:34 AM
(Am using an Airport Extreme as a router).

The router can give you some of that info via SNMP and syslog. See http://www.smallegan.com/blog/2008/06/02/airport-extreme-snmp-stat-graph/ for examples.

B

BertyBoy
Dec 7, 2010, 01:43 PM
Not quite sure exactly what you want to log.

You can get a summary of the volume of network traffic that has passed through your router since it started up, from the router itself.

Or do you want a performance monitoring tool, to also see the current bandwidth consumption, with a history of the bandwidth consumption ? OS X Server can probaby do this for you in enough detail.

Or do you want a network log ? logging all network activity, from which Mac to whatever IP Address and back again, the port used and the date / time ?

Or surely you don't want to log all the network traffic ?

Or was it something else ? Perhaps only HTTP traffic from the Mac Server ?

lostngone
Dec 8, 2010, 04:19 AM
I think you want a tool like netflow the only problem is the Airport doesn't export flow data. The best I thing you are going to be able to see it how much data is being sent and received via snmp.

deppest
Dec 9, 2010, 06:55 AM
not sure if it does logs but I find Little Snitch quite useful for monitoring network traffic in OSX