Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Like the website facepunch.com incorporates.

Basically, when you hover your cursor over a post, a few non-intrusive small icons show up in the bottom right, like so (using facepunch as an example):

ratings.png

Check mark for agree
X for disagree
Yellow face for funny
Medal for winner
Lightning bolt for zing
i for informative
Heart for friendly
Tool for useful
Rainbow for optimistic
Paint tool for artistic
Clock for old (like old news)
Box for dumb (maybe exclude this if it's too rude)

When you click on one, the icons disappear and are replaced with a fading "Rated!"

Then under each post, if people rated it, the rating totals are shown, like so:

ratings2.png

(This was a sticky so people rated it to oblivion. It was a warning about a security problem, hence all the friendlies)

When you click on list:
ratings3.png

Anyway, its a pretty neat idea and even just having a few of these would be excellent. What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
This would lead to all sorts of popularity contests. Also what does it achieve? (Apart form a list of the most annoying posters etc)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Similar suggestions have been made for dozens of times but they have remained as suggestions. Most of them have just been thumb up or thumb down so your suggestion is much, much more complicated. The current system works fine.

One issue would be that people would give thumb down or whatever it is just because they just disagree with your opinion.

Let me ask you, what would be the good things about system like that? What would it do that the current system does not do?

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
This would lead to all sorts of popularity contests. Also what does it achieve? (Apart form a list of the most annoying posters etc)

Well, looking at the site I got it from, which I'm a member of, there are no popularity contest. There isn't an overall count that people can refer to. It's just on a per-post basis. It helps get an idea of what people think about something. The ratings aren't talked about, nor are they used in any competitions. It's just a background feature that everyone uses.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would like to see the front page ratings done away with not add more.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Post-ratings with icons would be similar in spirit to thread-rating using tags, but MacRumors has chosen to allow only thread-starters to tag their threads, to avoid potential problems.

The facepunch forum have 168,455 users, so it's not a tiny site. I'm curious if they have trouble with abuse of the post-rating system and how often it starts arguments vs. how often it helps users find useful threads. That's the tradeoff.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Post-ratings with icons would be similar in spirit to thread-rating using tags, but MacRumors has chosen to allow only thread-starters to tag their threads, to avoid potential problems.

The facepunch forum have 168,455 users, so it's not a tiny site. I'm curious if they have trouble with abuse of the post-rating system and how often it starts arguments vs. how often it helps users find useful threads. That's the tradeoff.
Being a member there for six years, I can tell you that there are no conflicts over the ratings system. It's used in a pretty honest way amongst the community there and is indeed helpful. It's used as a method to reward sense of mastery and social acceptance or to the contrary for trolls, etc. Occasionally (pretty rarely) somebody will make a follow up post asking why he was rated negatively. I think the ratings system pushes people in Facepunch to post a little better because of the potential reward of social acceptance.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the most common rating given to the OP will be displayed outside of the thread (only if it passes I think 30 times rated.) This is extremely useful for finding threads that are funny, informative, etc.

I realize that each community differs and the only proper way to see if it will fit in with one is to test it, but it's a pretty big risk seeing as it's potentially worth hours of work to get it implemented properly and in the end it may not end up being used.

Anyway, thanks for posting about your concerns; the first proper reply to the OP.

Extra: to feed some more potential curiosity-

This site was back in the day widely regarded as one of the harshest sites in terms of moderation. There used to be a system that rewarded proper typing skills called the Smartness system. Basically the user would start at 0. Every post he made with no dumb text (like u for You, lol XD, etc.) would reward him 10 points. Every thread he made without error would reward him 50, with the total points (positive or negative) showing under their name on the left. Whenever an error was made, it would highlight the error to them and give them the chance to edit their post to fix it. When they fixed it, the point reduction would reverse and they'd receive the regular 10 points for posting properly.

I can't begin to tell you how amazingly quickly this system worked. We went from having "lol hi guise howz it goin lolz" to "Hello, how's it going?" in a year. Full transformation. Eventually the smartness system was removed as part of a forum redesign, but the good writing skills stayed and are to this day enforced pretty well through use of the ratings system to punish people based on poor writing skills (not for not knowing the language, but for purposefully tiping like dis, lol.)

Then before the ratings system we had a simple Thanks! system. Number of times you were thanked showed up under your name on the left. It was more or less a reputation system but with a number instead of a graphical way of showing it.

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This site was back in the day widely regarded as one of the harshest sites in terms of moderation. There used to be a system that rewarded proper typing skills called the Smartness system. Basically the user would start at 0. Every post he made with no dumb text (like u for You, lol XD, etc.) would reward him 10 points. Every thread he made without error would reward him 50, with the total points (positive or negative) showing under their name on the left. Whenever an error was made, it would highlight the error to them and give them the chance to edit their post to fix it. When they fixed it, the point reduction would reverse and they'd receive the regular 10 points for posting properly.

I can't begin to tell you how amazingly quickly this system worked. We went from having "lol hi guise howz it goin lolz" to "Hello, how's it going?" in a year. Full transformation. Eventually the smartness system was removed as part of a forum redesign, but the good writing skills stayed and are to this day enforced pretty well through use of the ratings system to punish people based on poor writing skills (not for not knowing the language, but for purposefully tiping like dis, lol.)

Then before the ratings system we had a simple Thanks! system. Number of times you were thanked showed up under your name on the left. It was more or less a reputation system but with a number instead of a graphical way of showing it.
Our goal is rather modest, that posts be understandable. There are posts with poor spelling and grammar, and some that reflect very lazy typing, but we don't consider it a problem unless the meaning of the post isn't clear. We ask users not to correct each other's mistakes because it's usually more annoying than helpful and can take a thread off-topic. We have many non-native English speakers who make the effort to post in English, and we appreciate that without expecting perfection.

Sometimes posts by poor spellers, lazy users, or non-English-native users are so cryptic that the user can't be helped with a technical problem or their comments can't be understood. In those cases we think it's appropriate to ask them to clarify.

Post ratings are a bad idea. You are not the first to suggest them, nor even the first to mention the site you cite as an example.
I wasn't able to spot a previous reference to the site, but you're correct that systems for thread ratings, post ratings, user ratings, and user reputations have all been suggested in the past.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I don't like the idea of post ratings. I don't want the forums and threads to end up like Engadget's comments...

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I think MR works well as it is ... IMO these little icon gimmicks are immature.

You would or could get people just running through the threads ... adding icons just because they feel like it.

I think MR has a nice mix of very useful advice and information ... a little humour thrown in ... a bit of debating ... and just a really nice group of people on here. I think MR has created a really nice forum and why change what is not broken :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.