PDA

View Full Version : Zagg Mate

Rmv221
Dec 7, 2010, 06:50 PM
I just ordered the Zagg Mate with the keyboard for my iPad 64/3G. Looks great, practable and something that would protect it! At least on the video it did. Now just waiting for it. Has anyone have one of these because I would like your input to it! :apple:
Thanks

Mitchrapp
Dec 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
I just ordered the Zagg Mate with the keyboard for my iPad 64/3G. Looks great, practable and something that would protect it! At least on the video it did. Now just waiting for it. Has anyone have one of these because I would like your input to it! :apple:
Thanks

I ordered one a couple days ago. Someone mentioned the thing that holds the iPad up was a little flimsy, no concern for me - I'll make my own ;). But it does look rather cool. I like the keyboard attachment. Can't wait.

GaresTaylan
Dec 7, 2010, 08:10 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1059125&highlight=zaggmate

Mitchrapp
Dec 7, 2010, 09:29 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1059125&highlight=zaggmate

ty.

Rmv221
Dec 7, 2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks so far for all the comments. I am sure I made the right decision to get it. :D

zacksba
Dec 8, 2010, 08:10 AM
I just finished my review with my 2 cents on the ZAGGmate with keyboard.

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5811/review-part-2-zagg%E2%80%99s-zaggmate-case-keyboard

Mitchrapp
Dec 9, 2010, 02:22 AM

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5811/review-part-2-zagg%E2%80%99s-zaggmate-case-keyboard

Thanks, nice write up.

Macmar88
Dec 9, 2010, 05:46 PM
My girlfriend gave me an early christmas gift yesterday and it was of course the Zagg Mate!!! this thing is awesome im actually typing on it now. The only thing I hate is the super plain aluminum front. I thinking about getting a cool decal to jazz it up. Other than that though i has have no real issues.

GaresTaylan
Dec 9, 2010, 08:09 PM
My girlfriend gave me an early christmas gift yesterday and it was of course the Zagg Mate!!! this thing is awesome im actually typing on it now. The only thing I hate is the super plain aluminum front. I thinking about getting a cool decal to jazz it up. Other than that though i has have no real issues.

Welcome to the ZaggMate club. Although I have to disagree about the front. I think it looks very sleek and imitates the overall design of the MBP and MB Air.

Rmv221
Dec 9, 2010, 08:30 PM
A great write up on the Zaggmate. I think I made the right decision on ordering it. Everyone who has one, likes it! Now I just have to wait for it. It says delivery on or before December 17th. Oh well, looks like a Christmas gift to me!:D :D. Thanks everyone ......

Mitchrapp
Dec 9, 2010, 10:03 PM
That makes me feel like I made the right purchase. Just got an email saying it's almost ready to ship. Can't wait.

MacToddB
Dec 9, 2010, 10:12 PM

Hey, my fellow iPhone Life blogger!

FYI, my local BestBuy had them IN STOCK... what's more, google and you should find a 10% off coupon! In fact, here ya go:

http://dealspl.us/bestbuy-coupons/186465p

ZipZap
Dec 10, 2010, 05:00 AM
I ordered the non-keyboard weeks ago..its on its way to me.

Dorkington
Dec 10, 2010, 07:00 AM
I just picked one up last night.

First off, let me state, that my perfect device would be a convertible laptop/tablet based on a lightweight OS.

Pros:

- Effectively gives me my perfect device (though not perfectly).
- Keyboard is solid and clicky
- Shortcut buttons are very handy
- Fit and finish is much better than I was expecting (I think some got early versions or pre production models in their reviews?)
- Weight is very reasonable for what it is
- Pretty usable on your lap, you can tilt the whole thing backwards and the iPad stays
- Stand is surprisingly stable
- After getting it set up, its really nice just popping the tablet out and using it as a tablet, or turning around and using it as a makeshift laptop
- iPad really stays in there when "closed"

Cons:

- It's a bit awkward going from "closed" to "open"
- iPad really stays in there when "closed" (yes, this is a pro AND con :D)
- Keyboard is tiny and keys have a non standard placement (unavoidable, but still)
- Using it on your lap can be precarious, if you tilt the whole thing towards yourself, the iPad will tilt/fall off once it hits a certain point

Overall, I really like it so far. It's not perfect for me, but its easily the best option I've found for going from tablet to laptop quickly and easily. I have designs in my head that I hope are made some day, but until then, this will do. :)

md63
Dec 10, 2010, 08:40 AM
I picked up the Zaggmate last night at Best Buy. I generally like the case, however, I find the keys too small. I find I'm making as many mistakes typing with the Zagg as using the iPad keyboard. Otherwise it seems fine and I have no problem with the moveable stand which some people say doesn't seem strong.

Dorkington
Dec 10, 2010, 08:47 AM
I picked up the Zaggmate last night at Best Buy. I generally like the case, however, I find the keys too small. I find I'm making as many mistakes typing with the Zagg as using the iPad keyboard. Otherwise it seems fine and I have no problem with the moveable stand which some people say doesn't seem strong.

It took me some time to get used to it, and its still a bit small, but you begin to get better with time, imo.

PanAm-L1011
Dec 11, 2010, 06:06 PM
I just got my Zagg Mate w/keyboard case today and I love it. I have never been a fan of the virtual keyboard, although it is pretty cool. I like the case a lot and the keyboard seems pretty quick to get used to. Yes, it is small, but it is effective and I love the short cut keys. Before this I'd go on my MacBook to email/post on forums...now I feel like my iPad is truly a laptop replacement. I would venture to say I will likely only use my MacBook to sync my iPad. Love the case - the look, the feel, the build. Great case. Oh, it does not protect that back of the iPad, which we all knew. I will likely use this case only around the house and use my Yoobao Slim on the go. I prefer to use the iPad naked also...so it is all good finally.

MikePA
Dec 12, 2010, 04:53 AM
Can you put the iPad in the case screen side up for those times you don't want to use the keyboard?

misterc
Dec 12, 2010, 07:48 AM
No you can't. I current have both the Zaggmate and Typad Gen2 at home after being completely undecided. Still trtying to figure out which one to return. The sleekness of the Zaggmate is far superior to the Typad but the idea of not being able to flip the ipad screen side up is a bit bothersome.

Any thoughts?

MikePA
Dec 12, 2010, 09:11 AM
No you can't. I current have both the Zaggmate and Typad Gen2 at home after being completely undecided. Still trtying to figure out which one to return. The sleekness of the Zaggmate is far superior to the Typad but the idea of not being able to flip the ipad screen side up is a bit bothersome. Any thoughts?

I've read reviews of the Typad and the bulk it adds to the iPad doesn't appeal to me. I also ordered a LeatherSkin, so I suppose I'll just leave the keyboard in my bag when not needed and use the iPad almost 'naked'. :D

misterc
Dec 12, 2010, 09:24 AM
Just used both and the typed keyboard is horrible. The keys are really stiff. Zaggmate is so much better to type on.

PanAm-L1011
Dec 12, 2010, 10:03 AM
As others have said, you cannot put the iPad face up in the case, but I don't understand why you would want to. In my opinion, this isn't the best on the go case. Well, for me. I use the iPad on the train everyday to read and it would be too bothersome to take it out of the case while standing up. I will use my Yoobao Slim in those circumstances and use the Zagg at home or when I travel.

I don't think it's necessary to put the iPad in screen up. I just set the keyboard aside. I think a big benefit of this case is you can use the iPad naked, which takes away any bulk. I don't like that the Slim's cover doesn't lay flat in portrait and the strap is annoying.. I read a lot, so I'm usually in portrait. Much more comfortable to hold naked.

bilibug
Dec 13, 2010, 04:56 PM
I got one yesterday...

To be honest, I think it is rather cheaply made. The internal plastic parts, especially the on/off switch, remind me of those cheap dollar store toys and gadgets. My iPad rocks, and doesn't sit flush when in the case, indicating that the ridge above the keyboard is higher than the rubber that the iPad is sitting on. The rubber around the edge is not evenly placed, and does not hold the iPad well. I find it hard to believe this thing survived any kind of drop test, and qualifies as protection for an iPad.

The keys are a bit small, and I feel like I'm typing inside a tray. Cool idea, but for $100, it should be of much better quality. I would almost be embarrassed to use it in public. I think I'm going to return it.

KoukiFC3S
Dec 13, 2010, 05:41 PM
Just got mine at Best Buy an hour ago with the 10% coupon.

Build quality is pretty nice. The power button does feel cheap but I love the aluminum outside casing. Typing with it is good. Keys are not full size but I can see myself getting used to this. Only made a couple typos typing this post with it.

PanAm-L1011
Dec 13, 2010, 07:55 PM
Just got mine at Best Buy an hour ago with the 10% coupon.

Build quality is pretty nice. The power button does feel cheap but I love the aluminum outside casing. Typing with it is good. Keys are not full size but I can see myself getting used to this. Only made a couple typos typing this post with it.

I think it's rather nicely made for what it is. They obviously wanted to make it as small, light eight and sleek as possible. I think they did a great job. I love having a keyboard, and although it is small, I find myself getting used to it fast. It will be one of the two cases I use regularly. SO much easier typing on this keyboard than the virtual one.

My iPad sits flat inside the case. To the person's whose doesn't - exchange it. I think it could survive a fall as well as any of the other cases I have, if not a bit better. I'm more concerned with size, style and functionality than I am with protection. I couldn't stand my first case - it was so big and bulky.

GaresTaylan
Dec 13, 2010, 11:39 PM
I got one yesterday...

To be honest, I think it is rather cheaply made. The internal plastic parts, especially the on/off switch, remind me of those cheap dollar store toys and gadgets. My iPad rocks, and doesn't sit flush when in the case, indicating that the ridge above the keyboard is higher than the rubber that the iPad is sitting on. The rubber around the edge is not evenly placed, and does not hold the iPad well. I find it hard to believe this thing survived any kind of drop test, and qualifies as protection for an iPad.

The keys are a bit small, and I feel like I'm typing inside a tray. Cool idea, but for $100, it should be of much better quality. I would almost be embarrassed to use it in public. I think I'm going to return it.

Couldn't disagree more. I have had nothing but positive comments when ive had mine out in public. Mine sits flush as well. I have to really do some work to get the iPad out sometimes too. Sounds to me like you either have a dud or you're hard to please.

KoukiFC3S
Dec 13, 2010, 11:57 PM
I used it a few more hours and I like it even more now!

The angle of the ipad is really nice to watch movies. I will be using netflix and air video more.

As for productivity Documents to go and blogpress both work great with it. Chatting is also a lot better now.

And for the icing on the cake, the ipad's lcd illuminates the keyboard in the dark, making it look backlit. Awesome. :-)

Dorkington
Dec 14, 2010, 08:09 AM
I've gotten nothing but compliments so far from people who have seen it.

And, I don't really understand using it face up... just use the iPad naked.

That's what I love most about this, it's really easy to just take the iPad out and use it as a tablet (which I do most of the time anyways), then place it in the stand if you want to type some. When you are all finished, fold it all up, put it in your bag, and you're off.

It's more of a portable keyboard stand that folds up nicely with the iPad, than it is a case.

bilibug
Dec 14, 2010, 09:02 AM
Couldn't disagree more. .... Sounds to me like you either have a dud or you're hard to please.

Thanks for the personal attack. Maybe it's that I expect value for my hard earned money?

While I agree that the rocking issue may be a defect, I am still not impressed with the build quality, considering the price. I'd like to know how much the manufacturing cost is, because it seems to me that Zagg cut just about every corner they could. It could have been a great product, but I think it is just a great idea executed with cheap materials.

Look at the Apple Bluetooth keyboard in comparison. Of course not the same form factor, but much higher quality build, including materials, for a slightly lower price. Again, I see the Zagg Mate as no more than a cheaply made plastic keyboard in an aluminum tray. Fine if you think it is great, but I believed the hype and got disappointed. I'm sure I am not the only one, and perhaps my dissenting view will help others evaluate the product more realistically.

And, by the way, I've shown it to 2 other people who had the same reaction I did - nice idea, but cheaply made and not worth $100.

yankintx
Dec 14, 2010, 10:54 AM
Couldn't disagree more. I have had nothing but positive comments when ive had mine out in public. Mine sits flush as well. I have to really do some work to get the iPad out sometimes too. Sounds to me like you either have a dud or you're hard to please.

Never understood why so many here are concerned with comments from strangers in public. Do you advertise the thing to intentionally attract attention to yourself hoping someone will take notice of your cool device?

I bought my gadgets for me, and don't care what others think.

Some people need to grow up I think:D

MikePA
Dec 14, 2010, 11:53 AM
Never understood why so many here are concerned with comments from strangers in public. Do you advertise the thing to intentionally attract attention to yourself hoping someone will take notice of your cool device?

I bought my gadgets for me, and don't care what others think.

Some people need to grow up I think:D

Please point out where GaresTaylan said he/she was 'concerned with comments from strangers in public'. I will save you some time. He/she didn't, rendering the rest of your post irrelevant.

ZipZap
Dec 14, 2010, 01:40 PM
I received the non-keyboard version and I like the angles and fit...who needs a keyboard.

It was scratched out of the box but the good folks at Zagg are replacing it at their expense.

Ordered the invisasheild for it as well.

ZipZap
Dec 16, 2010, 04:24 AM
Invisashield should have come the case at these prices.

I did not care for the little note in the package that indicated that the Zaggmate was easily scratched and that we should get the invisashield to protect it.

They should have included it... and short of that should have made it clear that the unit scratched easily (at order time) so all of use could have ordered the shield (at 50% off and with the free shipping that was being offered at the time) and had it day 1 at delivery of the case.

The fact that your test model came with it (when its not standard) is a bit of a cheat.

normwood
Dec 19, 2010, 06:20 AM
I picked one of these up on Friday at Bestbuy on the way home. I had a $35 store credit so it help make the decision just a little easier. I say that because I don't know how much I will really use it. Most of my iPad use is sitting on the couch, as a passenger in a car or while traveling. Most of my specific use is surfing the web and such.

That said...I think this is is a nice piece of equipment. It seems to be well made for the price and functions perfectly.

All the comments about the keys being small are nuts. They have to be that size to fit into the appropriate space.....that just gets a big "DUH".

When I am mobile with my iPad....which is most of the time...I will carry in in this inside a messenger bag.

I will most likely get a shield installed on the back the next time I am near a Zagg stand at a mall.

Good stuff!

Steve

Dorkington
Dec 21, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm still loving mine. :)

I really hope the iPad 2 fits in it as well. :D

Rmv221
Dec 21, 2010, 05:52 PM
Since I started this reply on Dec 7, as of this date, I am still waiting! It's been shipped! Maybe before Christmas? It would be nice.:D

thrill5one6
Jan 20, 2011, 09:12 AM
Waiting for mine too :)

redman042
Jan 20, 2011, 11:14 PM
I bought one for my wife recently at Best Buy and am thinking of getting one for myself. To those who complain it feels cheap -- I will agree that it doesn't "feel" as high quality as the iPad or the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, but then again, it's incredibly light for what it is, and I'll take that over the alternative any day. I'm very picky about adding too much bulk to my iOS devices. I think they HAD to use thin plastics and thin aluminum to achieve this light weight. Even so, it seems like this case will last quite a while.

MikePA
Jan 21, 2011, 03:31 AM
To those who complain it feels cheap -- I will agree that it doesn't "feel" as high quality as the iPad or the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard...

Such people don't know the difference between light and cheap or light and low quality. BTW, the Clamcase is back in stock.

Dorkington
Jan 21, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'm rather confused by the notion that it feels cheap. The only thing that comes off as cheap is the stand part, but I'm not sure how else that function could have been done.

Either way the case matches up very well to the iPad, imo.

MikePA
Jan 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm rather confused by the notion that it feels cheap. The only thing that comes off as cheap is the stand part, but I'm not sure how else that function could have been done.

Either way the case matches up very well to the iPad, imo.

+1 People who think it's cheap or flimsy need to get a clue. Maybe ZAGG should make one out of steel so it wouldn't feel so 'cheap'. :D

EldoInTheWeeds
Jan 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
I picked up a Zaggmate today. Works great. One issue though. I cannot get the arrow keys to work in Numbers though it works fine in Pages. Is there some way to make this work? I'd like to be able to enter data in a cell and then hit the arrow key to go to the next cell.

CDRacingZX6R
Jan 24, 2011, 03:15 PM
Just picked up the Zaggmate today. Got to say I love it. Keyboard feels about the same size as say the early netbook keyboard on the Asus Eee PCs.

My only question is with the enter key. It feels normal and fine if you press it in the center and or left side of the key, but very stiff and makes a loud click if pressed toward the right end of the enter key.

No big deal, just wanted to know if this is a normal thing or if I need to exchange it at best buy.

crowmanuk
Jan 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
I managed to get hold of one in the UK today and am so disappointed with the build quality I am returning it immediately. The aluminium edges are very poorly finished and the inner sponges (military grade :rolleyes:) are simply held in place with double sided tape (which had already come away from the edge on the unit I got). The on/off button looks and feels like something from a cheap McDonalds toy .... I must admit I think that the quality of the build is embarrasingly poor - to a point where it detracts from the iPad itself. There is absolutely no way I could see this keyboard lasting more than a few months with regular use. The stand part (which let's face it is a fairly critical aspect!) is just a joke ... fiddly, cheap and ... well .... just naff!

I know some people have already said they were happy with the quality and indeed I had read this thread prior to purchase as $99 isn't a cheap accessory but I was truly shocked at how poor the quality of this item was.

So disappointed as I really wanted this to be a keeper. :(

Saberon
Jan 25, 2011, 05:50 PM
The on/off button looks and feels like something from a cheap McDonalds toy

I was drinking orange juice when I read that and almost coated my monitor! :D

crowmanuk
Jan 25, 2011, 05:59 PM
I was drinking orange juice when I read that and almost coated my monitor! :D

Eeeeeek! Sorry Saberon ;)

This case has made me really grumpy today ....and I've just noticed how bad the USB port on it is ... without doubt the worst quality Apple accessory I've ever bought ... and I've owned an iPhone bumper :eek:

Saberon
Jan 25, 2011, 06:08 PM
I got caught in the Zagg hype once and now I'm out $50 for a piece of junk product. Watching the Zaggmate go down in flames just makes me feel better that I will never fall for their advertising again.

CDRacingZX6R
Jan 25, 2011, 07:16 PM
I exchanged my Zaggmate today because of the strange enter key issues. This one seems to be fine... I love it, and plan on keeping it... But all these recent issues people are having has me a little worried...

MikePA
Jan 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
This one seems to be fine... I love it, and plan on keeping it... But all these recent issues people are having has me a little worried...

What recent issues? There haven't been any issues, only people offering their subjective opinions about the product. Even if these people had identified something objective, how would that affect you?

My ZAGG/mate works fine and has from the day I bought it.

CDRacingZX6R
Jan 26, 2011, 01:13 AM
What recent issues? There haven't been any issues, only people offering their subjective opinions about the product. Even if these people had identified something objective, how would that affect you?

My ZAGG/mate works fine and has from the day I bought it.

Perhaps its because I already had a defective unit and had to exchange it this morning?

You may also want to try reading up on other forums... Theres a very large forum, much like this one, that is Ipad centric and full of people making complaints about various out of box defects. To Zaggs credit, there is a representative from Zagg offering to make things right with speedy exchanges. PM me if you would like the link.

Otherwise, no need to take it personally.

MikePA
Jan 26, 2011, 05:55 AM
You may also want to try reading up on other forums... Theres a very large forum, much like this one, that is Ipad centric and full of people making complaints about various out of box defects. To Zaggs credit, there is a representative from Zagg offering to make things right with speedy exchanges. PM me if you would like the link.

Background for people's opinions are always helpful.

Dorkington
Jan 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
Perhaps its because I already had a defective unit and had to exchange it this morning?

Otherwise, no need to take it personally.

Could you please link us to these threads, so that owners know where to follow defects, etc?

I've had nothing but a good/solid product so far, I guess I'm just lucky? :confused:

clyde2801
Jan 27, 2011, 06:17 AM
As usual, I'm late to the party. Got the ZM w/KB after reading a couple of reviews and prowling around two best buys (why can't these guys get their online inventory system straight-maybe Geek Squad is maintaining it). Wanted to get the Zagg front and back covers, found them (along with the ZM) at Target.

Up until now I had been using the otterbox defender. Nice protection on the pad, and it makes a great stand. It just adds so much bulk and heft to the device w/o providing a keyboard.

Really digging the ZM so far. Saw the rocketfish kb/case displayed at BB, but passed on it. The keyboard is a bit cramped, but has a better layout than most netbooks I've used...no awkward right shift or enter key placements. Faster than using the onscreen keyboard for me. Thanks to the earlier poster for posting about the command keys, more usable now...duh on me.

Fit and finish is nice. Whoever designed this thing was a true mac geek. Looks like it was really designed to go with the pad. The windows folks I showed it to were 'oh' and the diehard mac folks were 'ooohhhhh'. Sleek and stylish.

After being encased in the defender, the pad is just so darned slim and shiny. My friends thought I bought a whole new pad, or that v2 was out after seeing me tote my defended pad around with me anywhere. Again, Defender is a nice case, but may be overkill unless your hauling your pad off to a war zone or construction site.

Bought the Zagg front and back cover for $40 extra. Really like the cover, got both sides on with minimal bubbles after a couple of minutes of effort. Think the Zagg case should include their own freakin' back cover, considering otherwise the back of your pad is exposed with it.

The stand works better than expected, but I think I'd rather have a seperate, foam enclosed peace to hold the ipad to make it more laptop like. Don't know if the existing config was for style or to ensure that the wifi/3g antennas would get max signal.

Nice little case, and definitely a must consider option for the new ipad owner who hasn't already bought a kb and case yet. I thought the Defender case and apple bt kb would be the way to go, but I just kept catching myself keeping the kb in my briefcase and running off with just the pad if I wasn't hauling a lot of stuff off to work.

Fairly new into this, but enjoying it.

SFStateStudent
Feb 3, 2011, 01:17 AM
+1^^^ nice review, very helpful; glad I got the hands on at Macworld SF last week as well...:cool:

GotiPad
Feb 4, 2011, 11:17 PM
Me too picked one after seeing all the review from here (http://www.itrendystuff.com/zaggmate_wkey.html) for a discount.:apple:

Emily S
Feb 7, 2011, 03:49 PM
Have any of you heard about the giveaway for the iPad Zagg is doing. I love the iPad Case (http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate-ipad-case) and iPad Keyboard (http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate-ipad-case) I have been using and just entered to win another iPad too!

Go here to check it out:

http://www.zagg.com/community/contest.php

Scrimpy
Feb 7, 2011, 10:31 PM
We got one, charged it up, but it wouldn't turn on. (Flip switch, nothing happens.) We exchanged it for a new one, and the same thing happened. This time we went for a refund. It's too bad, because it seemed like the ideal solution.

Rapmastac1
Feb 8, 2011, 01:32 PM
I was so close to picking up the Zagg Mate earlier today at Target. But I decided on the Apple keyboard since I have the Griffin A-Frame and I love the case I currently use for my iPad. The case I'm using now wouldn't fit in the Zagg Mate.

While it doesn't seem like a laptop now, it looks more like a mini computer with the A Frame and separate keyboard.

I saw the Otterbox case you mentioned as well, that thing is a beast! The thing by itself weighs quite a bit so I knew the iPad would be protected. It just seems like too much overkill for something that is so slim and svelte. It's like getting a Lamborghini and never driving it.

SFStateStudent
Feb 18, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for posting the reviews on zaggmate and other iPad keyboard stuff. Been using mine for a couple of weeks now, and I'm totally enjoying my zaggmate. It looks and feels just like the one I demoed at Macworld SF. I'm typing with it now and haven't hit a wrong key yet, *fingers crossed* which was a selling point for me. I say, get a hands-on demo before you buy and look at several different setups...:cool:

Dorkington
Mar 7, 2011, 07:15 AM
http://www.zagg.com/community/blog/pre-order-the-zaggmate-for-ipad-2-now/

Yesterday Apple announced the details of iPad 2, and today we are excited to announce that the ZAGGmate for iPad 2 is ready for pre-order (click here to pre-order the ZAGGmate for iPad 2).

The ZAGGmate is one of the best selling iPad accessories available and won several awards, including Best of Show at Macworld Expo 2011. The ZAGGmate’s wireless keyboard is changing the way people use the iPad to create content and the aircraft-grade material of the ZAGGmate offers unmatched protection. Watch your iPad 2 fall in love with its perfect mate, the ZAGGmate.

Below you have will find answers to frequently asked questions about the ZAGGmate:

Is ZAGG going to make a new ZAGGmate for the iPad 2?
Yes. We are working very hard to accelerate the release of the new ZAGGmate for iPad 2. We will start shipping the new ZAGGmate no later than March 31.

Will my original ZAGGmate work with the iPad 2?
The original ZAGGmate was only designed to work with the original iPad. The outer dimensions of the iPad 2 are different than the original iPad so your iPad 2 will not fit securely into the ZAGGmate. While the ZAGGmate does work with most bluetooth devices, and it should pair with the iPad 2, we do not recommend using it with your iPad 2.

What should I do with my original ZAGGmate if I get an iPad 2?
We recommend keeping your original ZAGGmate with your original iPad. Whoever you may give or sell your original iPad to, we recommend keeping the ZAGGmate with the iPad since the new owner will need the keyboard and protection that ZAGGmate offers.

Woohoo, ZAGGmates will be out by the end of the month for iPad 2. This was actually the big thing keeping me from instantly buying the iPad 2 :D

sam2428
Mar 9, 2011, 01:49 AM
Hey everyone, I am planning on getting an iPad 2 (my first ipad) and the zaggmate seems like an awesome accessory to have. Allowing slim form factor and a case, while giving a keyboard when needed. I love it!

Question for those who already have the original: What are you guys using to protect the back of the ipad? I am thinking of a Lucky Labs skin Carbon fiber or brushed metal cant decide. I dont really want to put invisibleshield on the back (which i think should be included if not for the ipad than at least the back of the keyboard case for the $99 price tag). But that is a separate issue i guess.

Any other Skin like protection that doesnt add much bulk? Anyone here use Lucky Labs products?

MikePA
Mar 9, 2011, 06:33 AM
1. The ZaggMate comes with small, stick-on, rubber pads for the bottom of the keyboard if you're worried about scratching it. The pads also keep it from moving when you use the keyboard.

2. Zagg sells skins for the iPad 1 and will for the iPad 2. They are not cheap, but they look nice and are easy to install.

3. People have already whined about why doesn't Zagg include a skin with the keyboard.

sam2428
Mar 9, 2011, 02:31 PM
1. The ZaggMate comes with small, stick-on, rubber pads for the bottom of the keyboard if you're worried about scratching it. The pads also keep it from moving when you use the keyboard.

2. Zagg sells skins for the iPad 1 and will for the iPad 2. They are not cheap, but they look nice and are easy to install.

3. People have already whined about why doesn't Zagg include a skin with the keyboard.

Thanks Mike

I wonder if the new Zaggmate will be the exact design just fitting the new iPad or if they will make some design changes.

MikePA
Mar 9, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks Mike
You're welcome.

I wonder if the new Zaggmate will be the exact design just fitting the new iPad or if they will make some design changes.
I doubt they will make any design changes since, IMO, the current one works pretty well.

Dorkington
Mar 10, 2011, 09:37 AM
FWIW, I don't use any skins to protect the iPad. I haven't seen any reason, really. I have it in my man purse for travels, take it out, use it, put it back in. *shrugs*