http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program-cr48.html

ditosou
Dec 7, 2010, 08:00 PM
Although it's just a prototype, it looks promising

3.8 pounds... no.

Mord
Dec 7, 2010, 08:04 PM
BUT HOW CAN YOU USE THE INTERNET PROPERLY WITHOUT CAPS, IT'S LIKE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!!111

I jest, though not having the key would bother me, not that impressed as they just don't seem comparable

halledise
Dec 7, 2010, 08:26 PM
Although it's just a prototype, it looks promising

looks 'orrible :p

neteng101
Dec 7, 2010, 08:28 PM
You have got to be kidding me! :eek:

QuarterSwede
Dec 7, 2010, 08:31 PM
ChromeOS vs OS X ... riiiiiiight :rolleyes:

ZenErik
Dec 7, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm looking forward to when chrome os hits the consumer market. :)

Romulus
Dec 7, 2010, 09:32 PM
I don't think it's gonna take for anything outside of a typical netbook market... At least not with the rise of tablets...

I'm happy with OSX and always have the trusty XP vs Windows 7 on a server media/desktop - so perhaps I'm not really sure where Chrome OS would fit... If you are making it all an internet experience, a tablet is a much better tool as a consumer/receiver of information. Perhaps blogging/forums/email is where a keyboard comes in handy - nevertheless, the only reason for me to have a laptop is work such as word/excel/powerpoint/coding/photoshop. Otherwise, I would be happy enough with a tablet for browsing the web, youtube, weather, and all other web/based services. I can't shake the feeling that google is trying to take an iOS type approach and put it on the desktop...

Pokeon
Dec 7, 2010, 10:04 PM
I don't think it's gonna take for anything outside of a typical netbook market... At least not with the rise of tablets...

I'm happy with OSX and always have the trusty XP vs Windows 7 on a server media/desktop - so perhaps I'm not really sure where Chrome OS would fit... If you are making it all an internet experience, a tablet is a much better tool as a consumer/receiver of information. Perhaps blogging/forums/email is where a keyboard comes in handy - nevertheless, the only reason for me to have a laptop is work such as word/excel/powerpoint/coding/photoshop. Otherwise, I would be happy enough with a tablet for browsing the web, youtube, weather, and all other web/based services. I can't shake the feeling that google is trying to take an iOS type approach and put it on the desktop...

I saw close but I bet its more like them trying to bring Android to the moblie pc market (Aka Stuff with keyboards.) than the desktop, most likely netbook by the sounds of it.

One of Google higher ups said in a meeting the few weeks ago that Android is for touch and ChromeOS is more for keyboard, not to say they cant do both or are bad at either.

JKK photography
Dec 7, 2010, 10:13 PM
If all Chrome OS does is pressure the big boys (Microsoft and Apple) to make their OSs boot faster, I'd be happy.

Still, I've applied to be part of the pilot program. It looks interesting. Hey, at least someone is trying to do something innovative with the desktop OS space.

theapplefanboy
Dec 25, 2010, 11:43 AM
Just got mine, it's great for a free laptop. Doesn't compare to the MacBook Pro or HP Envy though... Haven't got an Air so can't make a good comparison there.

I think it's a slightly different type of notebook from the Air. The Air is designed to be ultra-portable while this is a bulky test unit (although fares well in everyday use.

Netbooks are no longer Google's primary focus as demand for them has died down in favour of tablets, and they will soon be displaced by tablets. Instead, Google plan on focusing on the mini desktop and standard notebook categories with Chrome OS. Therefore, expect to see many 11-13" notebooks running Chrome OS soon, and possibly a few higher end models to compete with the MacBook Pro. Samsung and Acer are expected to be the first to start making non-Google branded Chrome OS notebooks, but both are fairly low end when it comes to their laptop offerings, so I don't expect something amazing from them. Hopefully Dell or Sony will have something good to offer.

Some of the things I liked about it:
- Multitouch trackpad was pretty good
- Chiclet keyboard (keys are separated) is a nice touch
- Matte screen means no glare
- Boots up super fast
- The "web keys" replacing the function keys improve your web browsing experience
- OS has keyboard shortcuts
- The Chrome Web Store is great, and full of useful apps optimised for the web
- Google Cloud Print works very well
- Each user being linked to a Google account is pretty cool
- For those in the USA, 100mb per month free 3G from Verizon
- A secondary GSM SIM card slot behind the removable battery

What I didn't like:
- Acted slow at times due to the Atom processor
- Still has a lot of bugs but nothing too bad, will be fixed soon
- Flash video runs pretty badly, especially YouTube, Hulu, etc, Adobe have said they will try to fix this, so this isn't a permanent issue
- YouTube currently capped to 480p, although probably for good reason
- Only one USB port

So, to be honest it's not a bad notebook. I am really starting to like Chrome OS and the idea behind it.

macnerd123
Dec 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
why don't you submit an application for one of the pilot program and you'll get one of the prototypes. They may not choose you but it is worth a shot. Then you'll really know if its bad or not after using it for a while.

theapplefanboy
Dec 29, 2010, 05:06 PM
why don't you submit an application for one of the pilot program and you'll get one of the prototypes. They may not choose you but it is worth a shot. Then you'll really know if its bad or not after using it for a while.

It's going to be hard to get one now, as the program started nearly two months ago and they said they would only give out 60,000 notebooks.
I got one because I signed up on the first day they were available.